Adding Yeast Nutrition During Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beervoid

Hophead & Pellet Rubber
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

So because of a mistake in the temp controller I pitched my ale yeast way too cold.. at around 7c. I also forgot to add yeast nutrient. I made a proper starter before pitching it.

After warming the keg up some fermentation action was seen but it wasn't convincing enough for me so I decided to add some yeast nutrient which I forgot earlier.

Right after opening the keg, adding the yeast nutrient and closing it, my airlock activity went up by quiet a lot.

Just wondering if this is normal cause the nutrient reacts with the c02 already formed?
I shook the keg a bit to make sure the nutrient would mix welll.

Cheers

Nutrients can be added any time (think feeding high gravity beers), but earlier is of course more beneficial. I would dissolve it first, though. Now your yeast was mostly dormant due to the low temps, so she wouldn't have processed it until it got warmer.

You probably saw outgassing due to nucleation. It's all fine.

Nutrients can be added any time (think feeding high gravity beers), but earlier is of course more beneficial. I would dissolve it first, though. Now your yeast was mostly dormant due to the low temps, so she wouldn't have processed it until it got warmer.

You probably saw outgassing due to nucleation. It's all fine.
Cool, thanks for answering.

Back