Adding White sugar during fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ver_balc

Reaction score
Hi all!

This is my first post and I have a question about my first brew. I am home brewing Brewferm's Grand Cru (9 litres) and it has been fermenting for about 3 days now (around 72 hours). Because I am located in a tropical country the fermentation temperature is a bit higher than what is recommended in the recipe (around 29 C instead of 25 C recommended). Also my pitching temperature was around 28 C. There was a lot of activity in the first 24 to 36 hours. But after 48 hours the krausen fell and activity has decreased.

I have read quite a lot of threads before posting and didn't find a definite answer so that's why I am posting again in this thread. I hope it's ok.

When I was re-reading the recipe I realised I added the wrong amount of sugar to the wort (I added 110g instead of 500g). My OG was 1.057 vs an indicated OG of 1.075 in the recipe. My guess is that due to the high fermentation temperatures and the fact that I added much less sugar than needed, the yeast was quite quick to consume all the sugars.

So my question is, should/can I add the rest of the sugars to the brew at this point? (around 72 hours after pitching)
If yes, then how should I add it? Dissolve it in room temperature water (how much?) and then mix it carefully with the fermenting beer?

Thanks in advance for your help!

If my recipe calls for sugar I usually add it to the fermenter rather than in the boil. Add the sugar to enough water to dissolve it. Bring it to a boil and add it to the fermenter. I typically don't even wait for it to cool, it's a very small amount of water added to a very large amount so the temp shouldn't rise too much.

Hi Tombstone!
Thank you for your answer.
So can I add the remaining sugar (around 400g) to the fermenter?

Any advice how much water should I use to dissolve it? (having into account a total brew volume of 9litres)
Is boiling needed?
Should I also stir the mix after addition to create some aeration?

On another note, any thoughts about the quite high fermentation temperature I have (29C) and how to minimize the consequences for off-flavors?

Thank you in advance!

I try to use as little water as I can, maybe start with 250 ml and add more if you need it. I always bring it to a boil to both sanitize it and to get it to fully dissolve.
29C is very warm. What yeast are you using? If you're using a saison yeast 29 will work fine, but if you're using a normal ale yeast it will cause off-flavors. After 3 days there's not much you can do, the off-flavors have already been created.
In the future you can do a few things to drop the temp. A lot of people start by making a swamp cooler, basically put the fermentor in a tub of water, put a t-shirt over the fermentor sitting in the water, as the water evaporates it will drop the temp. Instead of or in addition to the t-shirt you can also add frozen water bottles to drop the temp, switch them out twice a day to keep the temp down. I use a small fridge with a temp controller to control my fermentation temperature.

Thanks Tombstone!

I have added the whole 400g of white sugar mentioned in the recipe with 0,5L of water. The yeast seemed pretty much settled so I gave it a gentle stir. We'll see if it "wakes up".
The SG before adding the sugar was 1.019 and after adding the sugar was 1.033.
The OG was 1.057.

I don't know which type of yeast comes with the Brewferm Grand Cru. It's an extract based kit...It's this kit: https://www.brouwland.com/en/our-products/brewing-kits/brewferm-beer-kits/d/beer-kit-brewferm-grand-cru-for-9-l#.WXdIldOGORs

I tried searching online but can't seem to find which type of yeast is it. Do you know which yeast comes with it? I hope it's a saison yeast then...

Back