adding sucrose to wort/yeast in the secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KraphtBier

Reaction score
I brewed a pale using Danstar Nottingham that had a starting gravity in the 1.065-1.068 range. I checked the gravity after nine days and got 1.011, got the same reading again on day 12. I decided I wanted the beer a little more on the dry side after tasting and boiled some sucrose (4 oz), chilled it and added it to the secondary. I've got great activity (no krausen to speak of, but a nice film of tiny bubbles) but I'm wondering if I have simply increased my alcohol content or actually lowered the final gravity of my beer.

Anyone have answers for me?

Was afraid so. The beer tastes alright but I am now going to have more booze and the same amount of sweetness. Not really what i was shooting for, but live and learn I guess.

Give it time. It's only 12 days old. It's bound to change in the next few weeks. Also, you've got 83 some percent AA (at 1.011 FG), so it's not likely to be too sweet. If it is still sweet, I'd look to upping your hop levels next time, not trying to get more attenuation.

Latest posts

Back