Adding molasses or Belgian candi sugar in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GREASEMONKEY

Reaction score
I have an Old Ale that I just racked to secondary after two weeks primary. I followed a recipe for this batch except I couldn't find any treacle in time and brewed anyway. I guess molasses is a suitable substitute for treacle and I have that.

The sample I pulled for specific gravity check tasted decent, but just didn't have that old ale bite of the molasses. Has anyone ever added molasses to secondary, or even belgian candi syrup?

I have about 4 weeks left before I wanted to enter this beer into a competition, so need probably about a week for keg/carbing.

Thanks in advance

I've added honey and maple syrup after initial fermentation before. I don't 2ndary so it was added to the primary a couple weeks after I pitched the yeast. Obviously it'll restart fermentation so plan that into your 4 week timetable.

What is the gravity of your beer before adding the molasses? You don't want your old ale too dry. I'd want my old ales around 1.015 at the lowest but up to 1.022 if the high alcohol level is there but the best part about homebrewing is you can make the style to your specific tastes!

Old ales usually have special B in them that give it a nice dark dried fruit bite but molasses will give it a nice little residual bite you're talking about.

OG was 1.082
Gravity at secondary was 1.018
Gravity after adding 5 oz molasses boiled in 2 cups water was 1.022

So after about 10 days in secondary, the SG is back down to 1.018 and I did a small sample taste. Boy what a difference, I got exactly what it was missing before. I'm glad this seems to have worked and saved the beer from just being mediocre.

Back