Adding Lemon Juice/Lemon Concentrate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duffman53

Reaction score
I plan on brewing an IPA soon and was thinking about adding some lemon juice or lemon juice concentrate to accent the bitterness. I'm not looking to make it too sour or tart but to make it noticeable. I'd also planned on adding an ounce of lemon peel during the entire sixty minute boil.

How much juice/concentrate should I add for a five gallon batch? Also, from the other posts I've seen on here should I be concerned about preservatives or any negative side effects?

Happy Brewing!
D

I plan on brewing an IPA soon and was thinking about adding some lemon juice or lemon juice concentrate to accent the bitterness. I'm not looking to make it too sour or tart but to make it noticeable. I'd also planned on adding an ounce of lemon peel during the entire sixty minute boil.

How much juice/concentrate should I add for a five gallon batch? Also, from the other posts I've seen on here should I be concerned about preservatives or any negative side effects?

Happy Brewing!
D

That sounds..........well, terrible, to be honest.

If you want a lemon flavor, would you consider using sorachi ace hops for flavor/aroma additions instead of the lemon juice? that would give a distinct lemony flavor without adding any juce.

Or just stick a slice of lemon in your glass after you pour it. That way, if the lemon flavor doesn't play the way you're looking for you don't have an entire undrinkable batch

LOL! Thanks for the input. That sounds like a more subtle way of adding a lemony citrus character to it without ruining my entire batch. I'll look into those hops!

Latest posts

Back