Adding honey to priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil74501

Reaction score
I'm going to try to bottle my second batch of beer this weekend. It's a 5 gallon honeyweizen kit. It fermented for 2 weeks. I racked it into a secondary for 4 weeks. One of the reviews on the site I bought it from said to add some extra honey to give it more honey taste. I'm wanting to add that extra honey, I'm thinking a pound. Should I use the honey instead of priming sugar? Or use both? And does it make a difference what kind of honey I use?

If I'm understanding the calculator correctly, I need 7.59 ounces of corn sugar, or 9.3 ounces of honey. The kit came with 5.5 ounces. If i add a couple of ounces of honey, would that work? Or should I just stick with the corn sugar that's with the kit?

If I'm understanding the calculator correctly, I need 7.59 ounces of corn sugar, or 9.3 ounces of honey. The kit came with 5.5 ounces. If i add a couple of ounces of honey, would that work? Or should I just stick with the corn sugar that's with the kit?

I don't know what you did, but that is too much.

I picked a style of beer. Hefeweizen was the closest I could find to the type I made. Then typed in the current temp, and the amount. It shows 7.5 ounces.

I picked a style of beer. Hefeweizen was the closest I could find to the type I made. Then typed in the current temp, and the amount. It shows 7.5 ounces.

Ok, that is for 3.6 volumes of CO2. If using standard bottles you really don't want to be going above 3.0 volumes. Try using American Wheat.

The temperature you put in is the highest temperature the beer has been at since the end of fermentation.

I'd skip the honey. You aren't going to get any flavor from it at this point and it is hard to measure out the correct amount for priming. Batches of honey will have have different amounts of sugar in them and you really need to measure by weight. Skip the honey, prime with table sugar instead.

Next time try adding some honey at flame out, you might get some flavor from that. Adding a ton of honey at bottling is just going to result in bottle bombs and big mess.

Latest posts

Back