Adding gelatin, then kegging and rolling keg to force carb: Stupid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smellyglove

Reaction score
I just did this. Will the gelatin still work after it's been in the keg for a while, and then shaken around, or will I need to re-gelatin the keg?

Why did you put gelatin in the keg rather than the fermenter? When I add fininings I will rack off them into a keg. Maybe I'm wrong but I'd think your first few pours would be a lot of sediment. Then again I don't use gelatin often

Just to try it. I normally clear the beer in the fermentor then rack. But I havent tried clearing it in keg so I wanted to try. I've read that people do it, but I'm not sure if the +/- charges in gelatin and the trub/yeast/proteins has equalled and the yeast/trub/proteins won't cling to the gelatin after the rolling.

Edit: And yes, the first pours should give me some sediment, but if it's because of natural drop-out or gelatine still being active is the question.

I think it should be fine. Just let it sit and wait for the sediment to fall to the bottom of the keg. Just dont move it after you dump the first few pints. There will still be sediment in the keg but it will be around the liquid tube. if you move the keg then it will stir up the sediment that didnt come out and you will have to waste a couple more pints when it all settles.

Latest posts

Back