Adding frozen fruit and extract to beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pat-f

Reaction score
Hi, I am looking at a recipe that calls for 7oz of fruit (blackberry) extract. I've heard the the best results come from using 1/2 extract, and 1/2 frozen fruit. So how many pounds of fruit are equal to an ounce of extract?
Thanks.

Hi, I am looking at a recipe that calls for 7oz of fruit (blackberry) extract. I've heard the the best results come from using 1/2 extract, and 1/2 frozen fruit. So how many pounds of fruit are equal to an ounce of extract?
Thanks.

I've only researched blueberries, but for a 5gal batch I usually see either 5 pounds fresh/frozen or 2oz extract. One thing to note, extract should always be added at bottling. Otherwise a lot of the flavor evaporates away.

Hi, so I decided to follow the recipe for the first time, and only used the extract. It has a rather syrupy and fake flavor to it. Will that mellow out with age? How long should I let it age for?
Thanks

I used 2oz extract on a strawberry beer and it tasted "artificial". It was a small batch so none of it made past a about 10 weeks, but it never mellowed out for me. I was disappointed but it was the easy way to add the fruit flavor at least.. Not everyone tasted the same "artificial" flavor though either, so some thought it was fantastic beer!

With real fruit (fresh or frozen), the general rule of thumb is 1-2 pounds per gallon of beer added to the secondary. For darker beers, add more. For subtle aroma/flavor, add less.

I frequently use blueberries at a rate of 1.5#/gal in brews as dark as my chocolate-coffee porter and my smoked rauchale. They are tart/sour while young, but the aroma and fresh fruit flavor really comes out well with bottle aging.

I am making an American wheat extract from NB I was thinking about adding grapefruit for something unique but am having second thoughts due to the acidity of them. I think I'm going to go with blueberries now, would 5 lbs be enough for 5 gal? Do u smush them up or add whole? Fresh or frozen?

At 1# per gallon, the blueberry flavor will not be noticable - the aroma will also be minimal, although you'll probably hove some heavy color contribution. Blueberries are described as a subtle-contribution fruit, so you'll want to stick to a higher inclusion than that (unless you're supplementing with an extract....the only way to get a "classic" light-color American blueberry-wheat beer).

Freezing both inhibits any wild yeasts or bacteria on the fruit, it also ruptures the cell walls, eliminating the need to crush. Adding thawed fruit to the secondary is low-risk, as the alcohol in the beer at that point should further inhibit and/or kill off any wild critters on the fruit.

If you want to use fresh, unfrozen fruit, invest in some Campden tablets for sterilization of your must and be prepared to crush it thoroughly.

Back