Adding flour to boil to increase viscosity, body, mouthfeel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeastforbrains

Reaction score
In the context of cooking, you can add flour to a sauce to make it thicker or less liquid. Has anyone ever tried adding flour to the boil to thicken up the wort and add mouth feel to the beer. I'd like to try it in an oatmeal stout I plan to brew soon. Any suggestions regarding what type of flour and how much to use? I understand the beer would not clear, but since it's opaque anyway, I don't really mind that. Other reasons why adding starches to the wort would be a bad idea?

I can't imagine it would stay in suspension. It would probably drop out with the rest of the trub.

I use maltodextrin to increase body and mouthfeel. I would be concerned about what flavors might arise from the flour addition. I suppose if you plan on a full mash the flour starches might be converted. You could mash at the top of the range to increase the dextrin content. You could add some flaked barley to the mash instead.

Also, to make gravy or sauce you start with a roux: flour slow cooked in some kind of fat to brown it and coat the particles so they don't lump up. I wouldn't want to put a roux in my wort, but hey, I never thought donut bacon beer would be such a hit either.

I was actually just reading the witbier recipe in the BYO 30 great beer styles. The recipe talks about adding flour to the boil if you're doing an extract with steeping grains version.

I was actually just reading the witbier recipe in the BYO 30 great beer styles. The recipe talks about adding flour to the boil if you're doing an extract with steeping grains version.

I believe that is a black malt flour and it is a very small portion...seems I saw that in the BYO clone recipes mag but it may be for a different beer.

I use maltodextrin to increase body and mouthfeel. I would be concerned about what flavors might arise from the flour addition. I suppose if you plan on a full mash the flour starches might be converted. You could mash at the top of the range to increase the dextrin content. You could add some flaked barley to the mash instead.

Also, to make gravy or sauce you start with a roux: flour slow cooked in some kind of fat to brown it and coat the particles so they don't lump up. I wouldn't want to put a roux in my wort, but hey, I never thought donut bacon beer would be such a hit either.

Donut bacon beer :) Only in America! I live in France, wine is king, but the beer scene is limited to traditional Belgians and "biere de garde". You want something special, you need to brew it yourself. I know what you mean regarding roux, but you can also carefully sift flour or starch powder into a boiling liquid if you want it thicker. Of course, stirring and sifting is required to avoid clumps. I plan on mashing, but the flour will be sifted and stirred into the boil - not added to the mash.

I've added wheat flour to beers I've soured where the flour will be broken down but I've never added it directly to the boil for clean beers. It's mostly going to give you the same effect as using unmalted wheat as an adjunct. You'll get some haze, some mouthfeel and some starchy flavor out of it.

It wouldn't be totally out of place in an oatmeal stout but I would wonder why you aren't getting haze, mouthfeel and flavor out of the flaked barley and oats in the recipe.

I've heard of adding flour to wheat beers to keep them cloudy (as the style), are you doing extract or AG? If AG you could mash higher to achieve more mouth feel or some Torrified wheat, if extract some Maltodextrin should do the same.

yeastforbrains said:
I plan on mashing, but the flour will be sifted and stirred into the boil - not added to the mash.

Boiling 5-10gal creates a lot of steam. I dont think "sifting" would be too effective once your sifter comes in contact with that much moisture, but I could be wrong. I would also predict some kind of foamy boilover.

Let us know how it goes!

Donut bacon beer :) Only in America! I live in France, wine is king, but the beer scene is limited to traditional Belgians and "biere de garde".

When I was in Paris my friend took me to a beer place on the Left Bank with a lot of offerings written on a big chalk board. I didn't have a clue, so I ordered a Jenlain because I liked the name. The waiter brought a liter-sized mug that I managed to drink in about an hour. My friend said "Do you realize you just paid twenty bucks for that beer?" I didn't, because I'd just been in Japan where it was 135 yen to the dollar, and the beer was 65 Francs, so that's cheap yeah? No. Anyway it was a spectacularly good beer.

I would be concerned about the unconverted starches. Manipulating the mash would definitely be the better way to go IMO.

Yup, all you'll get from flour is haze. What you want are long chain sugars and dextrins. I actually add some flour to my wits to ensure a permanent starch haze.

When I was in Paris my friend took me to a beer place on the Left Bank with a lot of offerings written on a big chalk board. I didn't have a clue, so I ordered a Jenlain because I liked the name. The waiter brought a liter-sized mug that I managed to drink in about an hour. My friend said "Do you realize you just paid twenty bucks for that beer?" I didn't, because I'd just been in Japan where it was 135 yen to the dollar, and the beer was 65 Francs, so that's cheap yeah? No. Anyway it was a spectacularly good beer.

Hate to tell you, but my local grocery store charges me 2 bucks for a pint bottle of it :)

Yup, all you'll get from flour is haze. What you want are long chain sugars and dextrins. I actually add some flour to my wits to ensure a permanent starch haze.

Been reading yours and others replies, been thinking more about this and realize it is not a good idea, to the extent that I will not even try it as I believe it will do more bad than good. I will probably post another thread, "how to add mouthfeel without adding sweetness" and see what comes out of it. Thanks to all for your replies here.

Hate to tell you, but my local grocery store charges me 2 bucks for a pint bottle of it :)

Yes but can you see the Tour Eiffel from your local grocery store?

How to add mouthfeel without adding sweetness: maltodextrin, flaked barley, melanoidin malt, etc.

+1 to flaked barley or flaked oats. Maltodextrin also works, haven't used melanoidin malt- didn't realize that was one of its properties.

I've done experimental cereal mashes with huge amounts of flour before, and I must say that the end result was not a lot of mouthfeel and much less haze than expected (wheat yeast).

Adding to the boil does bring and interesting point, though. Pros/cons?

Back