Adding Finings After Ferm/Before Bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dice_Boken

Reaction score
I've got an Amber ale that's been in the fermenting bucket for about 2 1/2 weeks and I'm thinking about bottling at the three week mark. I don't have a carboy to do a secondary but I would like to get the batch as clear as I can. Can I add some fining agents during the bottling process to help the beer clarify during bottle conditioning? I have quite a bit of sparkolloid powder left over from a 1 gallon melomel I was working on.

You want to add finings to the fermenter to settle those out and leave behind when you rack. If you do that in the bottle, they stay in the bottle. Sure the beer would be clear for the first part of the pour, but the sludge will soon follow.

You want to add finings to the fermenter to settle those out and leave behind when you rack. If you do that in the bottle, they stay in the bottle. Sure the beer would be clear for the first part of the pour, but the sludge will soon follow.
Anyway I can quickly pour the finings in the bucket and wait a week or two before bottling or will that expose it to too much oxygen?

The Reds haven't gotten ff to a great start in this 'Turnaround' Season. It is early, maybe things will improve.

Add the gelatin before bottling to leave everything in the bucket and not in the bottle. Don't fret about possibly spoiling the beer, just take care to minimize disturbance and you will be OK.

Latest posts

Back