Adding coffee to my stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbuck

Reaction score
I did an imperial stout with cuban coffee but my GF says after my brew it was way lighter than Quebec Coffee ( not a coffee drinker )
So heres the story, Should I put milled grain in my stout for X hour or do a mash with hot water. Not having an expresso machine on hand.

Cheers!

I've seen recipes that add ground coffee to a secondary and then transfer the beer on top of it and I have seen those who cold steep their coffee overnight and then add the grains and liquids to secondary. I think you could add ground coffee to the mash too, but you would not want to add it for the whole mash period, maybe add just for the last 10 minutes before sparging.

Any time I've ever used coffee I've steeped it at flameout. Seem's to work well. I'm planning on trying the cold brewing in secondary or addition before bottling though.

I did an imperial stout with cuban coffee but my GF says after my brew it was way lighter than Quebec Coffee ( not a coffee drinker )
So heres the story, Should I put milled grain in my stout for X hour or do a mash with hot water. Not having an expresso machine on hand.

Cheers!

I cold pressed it in a french press overnight and added it to secondary to eliminate the acidity, Brewed it the first time and added to secondary took forever to bottle condition, worked tho.

Back