Adding BBQ sauce to secondary.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Furious George

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Trying to do a BBQ sauce beer by adding BBQ sauce to my secondary. I'm sure it'll come out tasting like a smoked beer but this brew is all about the novelty. Anybody have any insight or experience with this sort of thing? Any ideas on if separation will be an issue?

At the very least I would experiment with a half-glass of beer (wouldn't want to waste a full glass!), gently mix in some sauce, and see what happens.
If it's found to be enjoyable, do another glass but let it sit covered in the fridge and see if the sauce drops out...

Cheers!

I think an overwhelming majority of barbecue sauces have preservatives in them. That wouldn't be good for the yeast.

I'd say that it just sounds awful, but people like all kinds of strange things. I heard about a mustard beer not too long ago that had positive reviews.

I think bbq sauce is mostly sugar. That will ferment out. Possibly get some smoke, onion, garlic and spices depending on how much you dosed. I’m skeptical adding directly to the beer in the glass would be same given sugar content. For example imagine difference adding a pint of honey to secondary vs a tbsp of honey to a glass of beer. In secondary probably not detectable, in the glass I’m thinking very noticeable.

If it was me, I would look at adding barbecue seasoning rather than adding cooked tomato and preservatives, but taste is subjective and people like what they like.

yeah, TONS of sugar in bbq sauce. but it generally has a lot of vinegar too, so i dont think you'll necessarily have issues with preservatives. that's a guess.

find a 1 gallon container you can fit a stopper/airlock into, dose it with the sauce, and see what happens. if it bubbles, you know you're getting a secondary. you'll have to judge the amounts and ratios. if not, then you know you'll just need to dose and taste until you get the beer you want because its essentially a flavoring addition.

I would just make a cream ale and use it for red beers with a bbq/bloody mary sauce blend. Otherwise I'll stand by @Kent88 and say I wouldn't advise it, but please do keep us posted!

I second the preservatives part...but you could make your own bbq sauce. I do thinknit will ferment again so maybe try it during initial fermentation

Expanding on the "if it was me", I think I would add a little molasses to the boil, and then secondary on something like this:

https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/bbq-3000/c-24/p-327/pd-pd-s

(That has salt in it, so not sure how I would adjust for that)

Not really sure if or how I might incorporate some tomato character into it, but I think I would start with that.

@Furious George Never tried this but sounds interesting. Few questions:

1.Is this home made sauce or off the shelf?

2. if its off the shelf, what brand/ingredients?

3. Are you thinking of adding to primary or secondary? Planning to filter?

4. are you going for baby back ribs or ribeye?

cheers!

I don't see any benefit off adding it to secondary, I'd just put some in your glass of beer to taste.
If you like the results, you can try to figure out what flavors are in the sauce and experiment with adding spices and other ingredients to the beer.
Don't let the naysayers get you down, drink what you like, I think I'm going to try it myself.
If you are looking for a sweeter BBQ flavor, use what you like best in that category.
I've been cutting back on my sugar consumption and I found this BBQ sauce:
1603623962789.png

Last edited:
Sounds like a good idea. I once knocked up a wine kit with some Madras curry paste and minced garlic.

So after a lot of comments and suggestions, Furious, whats the plan? I'm intrigued.

Couldn't you just add some of the key ingredients to BBQ sauce instead of a commercial sauce?

Some vinegar and tomato paste for example + spices?

I don't see any benefit off adding it to secondary, I'd just put some in your glass of beer to taste.
If you like the results, you can try to figure out what flavors are in the sauce and experiment with adding spices and other ingredients to the beer.
Don't let the naysayers get you down, drink what you like, I think I'm going to try it myself.
If you are looking for a sweeter BBQ flavor, use what you like best in that category.
I've been cutting back on my sugar consumption and I found this BBQ sauce:
View attachment 703895
We found this one and really love it. Don’t know that I’d want to add it to a beer though.
View attachment 703943

hijacking this thread because it smells like troll bum.

I don't do sweets, but i love some bbq sauce. How do these taste? are they subbing sugar alcohols and stevia, etc. for actual sugar?

they sound right up my alley, but i abhor aspertame, so if it tastes like sweet n low sauce i'd rather not bother trying it.

Along with the sauce, add some beef stock, baked beans, dill pickle and coleslaw. Call it BBQ Stout. You’ll probably win a prize. Or something.
Unless your from the south. Then switch baked beans for black beans and add corn and cilantro. Tex-mex BBQ porter.

Back