Added too much Hazelnut extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassBeer

Reaction score
I made a Rogue HBN clone and added too much extract to my keg. I started with 1oz., stirred it in and checked the flavor but didn't taste anything, so I added another 1.5 oz. Now I've got it chilled and carbing, and it's a bit overpowering. I'm trying to balance/counteract the flavor, but not sure what the best route is.

I'm thinking of dry-hopping to bring out more "beer" flavor and hopefully tame the hazelnut. Would this do any good? Any suggestions on what might help?

Thanks!

I had a similar issue with slightly too much black walnut extract in a brown ale. I left it in the bottles for another month and it balanced out really well. I'd say just give it some time to mellow.

Good to hear. I took it out of the keezer for now and am going to let it sit in the basement for a few weeks. Really hope this mellows out, otherwise I'll probably just add some cold brewed coffee to mask the hazelnut... which might actually be a good combo, probably won't taste like beer though. Thanks for the input!

If it doesn't mellow out for you, you might want to try just brewing a 2-3 gallon version of the recipe then blend them together. Keg 5 gallons and bottle the rest.

If it doesn't mellow out for you, you might want to try just brewing a 2-3 gallon version of the recipe then blend them together. Keg 5 gallons and bottle the rest.

There's an idea. I like it.

With this method would I want to carbonate the new batch and then blend or just add post fermentation?

Hopefully it'll mellow, but at least I have options

I like to blend after carbonation, it makes me feel better about the taste of the blended product & alleviates any worries about oxidizing the finished beer. But I'm sure you can do it either way.

To the OP: How long from adding the extract to first taste? I have consistently had the opposite problem; I add spice (Vanilla aexract one batch, pumpkin pie spice in another) ferment 4 weeks, condition 4 weeks and no flavor in the resultant product. Perhaps my spice needs to be bumped to account for time?

I tasted about 5 minutes after adding and shaking the keg. Had a very faint taste at first so I added more and shook again. Still the flavor wasn't that noticeable, but I decided to stop there anyway. After chilling and force carbonating, the hazelnut flavor took over and, 4 days later, is pretty overwhelming, almost masking all the other flavors.

As for your situation, I'd suggest adding the extract after fermentation completes. Just do it slowly and allow plenty of time between additions and taste tests.

I tasted about 5 minutes after adding and shaking the keg. Had a very faint taste at first so I added more and shook again. Still the flavor wasn't that noticeable, but I decided to stop there anyway. After chilling and force carbonating, the hazelnut flavor took over and, 4 days later, is pretty overwhelming, almost masking all the other flavors.

As for your situation, I'd suggest adding the extract after fermentation completes. Just do it slowly and allow plenty of time between additions and taste tests.
I know this was quite awhile ago but did the flavor ever age out? What did you end up doing with this beer?

Back