Added table sugar for priming without boiling it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aleksander9

Reaction score
I added table sugar for priming without boiling it. Am i in trouble? I stired the beer afterwards to disolve the sugar.

RDWHAHB. You are probably fine. The risk of infection is fairly low. You won't know until you try it anyway. :) You may have issues with overcarbed/undercarbed bottles though, as it is harder to get a consistent mix just dumping it in. Keep an eye out for bottle bombs.

Probably, you are fine. But there is a chance you have inocculated your beer with something bad. Nothing to do now but wait and see.

Next time, mix the sugar in with a cup or so of water, and bring to a boil. Then add it to the bottling bucket as the beer is siphoning in. Having the sugar pre-dissolved will help it mix in more evenly.

Cheers!

Thank you guys. I Stired it pretty well, so i hope its going to be fine. I had my girlfriend put the sugar in little by little while i stired. Next time im boiling the sugar in some water. :)

No need to boil the sugar. Boil the water,& dissolve the sugar. Since pasteurization takes only a few seconds at 162F,212F will be fine off the heat. You don't want to boil it too much & wind up with simple syrup. You'd have a hair less fermentables.

You also want to try and avoid stirring if possible. You don't want to oxidize your finished beer. As long it was gentle stirring with no splashing you should be fine. But definately want to avoid aggressive stirring with finished beer.

Latest posts

Back