Added dme too late!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calmbrews

Reaction score
Had half the day off work this morning so I took the opportunity with swmbo out at work for an impromptu brew sesh. Was brewing BM's Centennial Blonde. Everything was going really well with a good mini mash, strong rolling boil.

I decided to maximize hop utilization with late dme additions. Although ended up being too late, all the dme didn't end up mixing properly. I didn't realise until half was alreay in carboy. With time against me I was forced to pour wort back into pot, cover and leave in fridge for 6-7hrs till I'm home again. I plan on putting back on boil for 20-30mins when I get home.

Is this ok? Will it affect my beer?
Is it ok to leave hydrated dry yeast on bench (covered w foil) ?

Please reassure me !!!!

The dry yeast might be a little foamy after sitting out for so long, but as long as the wort is warmed back up to room temperature before you pitch and your overall sanitation is good, you should be OK.

You might want to pick up some extra yeast if you're near a supply shop, just in case.

**** ! :(

image-4023434874.jpg

image-1433012861.jpg

You can't really add the DME too late. If it is clumpy, just use a sanitized stirrer or something and stir it up or shake it. No need for leaving out in a pot or reboiling it!

I did that as soon as I got home I made a starter to keep yeast happy

.. Mixed wort ,boiled for 30min , and look at the photos above. Could it be due to whirlfloc?

I did that as soon as I got home I made a starter to keep yeast happy

.. Mixed wort ,boiled for 30min , and look at the photos above. Could it be due to whirlfloc?

I see lots and lots of break material, which is completely normal. It'll sink to the bottom.

You didn't really reboil this and repitch the yeast? :drunk: It was perfectly fine! DME breaks up, and the yeast will know where it is anyway.

For having a name like "Calmbrews", you sure seem a little worked up!;)

Haha yeh I'm usually cool calm n collected. Just did a whirlfloc search and found others stressing like I was. When I've never seen a wort do that ( in my very short brewing career) I was concerned I ****ed it..

All a learning curve

Yeah, that's just normal break material that should settle to the bottom of the fermenter.

Yes! That's actually a GOOD thing. It means that proteins fell out and coagulated (so they are heavier) and will fall to the bottom of the fermenter so you will have nice clear beer in the end.

Wait until fermentation kicks off though, and those blobs along with yeast gobs go flowing around like crazy, actually looking like your wort is boiling! Fermentation isn't pretty, but it's fun to watch! When you're not looking at the beer (it's beer after the yeast is pitched), cover it up with a towel and protect from light. You've made beer.

Latest posts

Back