Activated liquid yeast storage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertbartsch

Reaction score
I was planning to brew this past Saturday, so I smacked a liquid pack of yeast on Thursday but I did not brew and the yeast is now fully activated - today on Monday.

Unfortuntly, my brewing plans have changed and I probably won't be making any brew until this weekend (e.g. 9 days or so after I popped the smack pac.)

Can I leave this activated yeast at room temperature until I brew or should I refrigerate it?

Thx....

Make up a starter with your activated smack pack and let it ferment out completely (1-3 days), then stick it in the fridge until you are ready to use it. The yeast will precipitate to the bottom of your vessel and enter into stationary phase, building up glycogen(?) reserves. Once your ready to brew, pull out the starter, decant off the clear wort while leaving a little to re-suspend your yeast. Let it warm up to your wort temperature, then pitch and enjoy.
At least that is what I would do, no sence in letting a expensive smack pack go to waste!

Back