Acidulated Malt vs Lactic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WiscBrewer

Reaction score
Any thoughts on the use of Acid Malt vs Lactic Acid to lower mash pH? I wonder if using lactic acid might have a more predictable result (ie. Acid malt might vary slightly batch to batch). That's based on nothing more than a hunch though, so I'd be interested to hear others' thoughts.

I've been using acid malt lately, but I don't measure pH and am mostly guesstimating its effect on my mash

but I've noticed it helps to get closer to the SRM I'm aiming for in lighter beers

couple ounces in a 5-gallon batch. making it part of the grain bill from the LHBS just seems easier than measuring out the lactic acid, and any variance batch to batch isn't significant enough for me to worry about

same thing with a grain's potential/yield or a hop's alpha acid from one year's crop to the next. really not a concern

We use lactic acid and only use about 1mL (depending on calculation) to adjust the mash pH. Our brew group starts with distilled water and adds minerals according to the water profile we want and then we test the mash pH before and after the adjustment with a Milwaukee meter. We are hitting color and flavor profiles and I'm wondering why we didn't start adjusting water sooner.

:mug:

-Brian

I can understand that, commercial breweries are dealing with $1000s of dollars worth of grain and potential revenue loss. At that scale, I would say lactic is the better choice

At <$100 a batch, I doubt homebrewers need to worry about it

I've used both quite a bit, but I prefer lactic. It's more predictable, and WAY cheaper. 1 bottle will last forever. For me, depending on the type of beer, additions/5 gallons are something like 1/4-3/4 tsp, usually 1/4.

If your water supply has little alkalinity, then you could get by with using acid malt. But if your water is alkaline, then you are still left with half your water left untreated. Using a liquid acid is the way to go in that case.

With respect to the ease of using one product over the other, I wonder how measuring and adding acid malt to the grist is any easier than measuring and adding a liquid acid to the water? What am I missing?

Milled at the time I buy it with the rest of my grain bill

I don't have to think about it again. One less thing on brew day

Milled at the time I buy it with the rest of my grain bill

I don't have to think about it again. One less thing on brew day

You should think about it again. One more thing on brew day, yes, but you should be measuring your pH.....it kinda makes sense since you're intentionally affecting it. $100 and you got the meter and fluids.

If your water supply has little alkalinity, then you could get by with using acid malt. But if your water is alkaline, then you are still left with half your water left untreated. Using a liquid acid is the way to go in that case.

With respect to the ease of using one product over the other, I wonder how measuring and adding acid malt to the grist is any easier than measuring and adding a liquid acid to the water? What am I missing?

I don't have to mess with the recipe to see what acid malt will do to it.

I wonder how measuring and adding acid malt to the grist is any easier than measuring and adding a liquid acid to the water? What am I missing?

Well the scales are out and the measuring scoop is out and you are going to have to clean them up and put them away whether you use sauermalz or not. If you use acid you have to locate it and the measuring device, measure out the acid, rinse the measuring device and put it and the acid away. As I am not really good at remembering where I put things, especially small things like lactic acid bottles and pipets the sauermalz is much easier for me but it depends on the individual I suppose.

Just thing morning I told my wife that it is a snap to convert °C to °F. Double C, Divide by 10 and subtract that then add 32. E.G. 14 °C
- Times 2 is 28
- Minus -3 is 25
- Plus 32 is 57 (you subtracted 0.2 more than you should have so you can put that back on if you want for a more precise 57.2)

She told me that was way, way too complicated!

Anyway, the thing I like about sauermalz which a lot of people seem to forget is that it is a specialty malt which has its own flavors to add in addition to being a source of protons. I think those go well in lagers.

I like to brew Brett finished beers and believe part of what makes them so great is the flavors Brett can produce by utilizing lactate in the formation of esters. As you may know lactate is formed when alkalinity is neutralized by lactic acid. This can be achieved using commercial lactic acid or acidulated malt. Many brewers of sour beers believe that lactic acid produced by a natural fermentation has a superior flavor to that produced in a lab environment. Perhaps due to the diversity of LAB species/strains that occur in a natural environment. At least some acidulated malt is produced by natural fermentation utilizing LAB's that naturally occur on the grain. From Weyermann's website: "Weyermann Acidulated Malt is produced by using lactic acid, which is generated by on grain natural occurring lactic bacteria." (http://www.weyermann.de/in/faq.asp?umenue=yes&idmenue=62&sprache=2) I use it and like the results.

I started a similar thread last year because I was finding acid malt to be inconsistent:
Link

I've switched to lactic acid because of those consistency problems, even though I'd prefer to use acid malt.

Back