Acid Balance and Mouthfeel: Pyment Tastes Thin.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr_Floyd

Reaction score
I've posted earlier about a perceptible tartness but now that my Red Wine Pyment has progressed I'm looking at acid balance and mouth feel.

Upon sipping the Mead immediately it tastes thin followed by a fruit (I added Wild Cherry Bark), tart and a dry finish. Overall the flavor is nice but what can I do about the thin mouthfeel? I plan to age it with Medium Toast French Oak Spirals, will this effect the thin mouthfeel? I'm also to understand that some acid balancing is in order, so what acids should I add for a red wine mead?

I've read that tannins will add to a mouthfeel, so maybe patience and taste after the oaking? Subscribing to take in info as I haven't reached this far in any of my batches yet! But I'm quite excited as I believe I may be bottling one gallon soon!!! I haven't tasted yet but I also wonder how I'm going to adjust the tastes, if I need to. I'm sure I will. I'm making mead without tasting experienced mead in 6 years, So I'm sure most of my "tasty" experiences were actuall or probably terrible haha I spose the acid blend depends on tastes, I imagine using malic acid because I love granny apple bitter!

If you are able, try to discern the pH and the T.A., this lets you know what you are dealing with. Investigate glycerin for mouth feel. Like Skeletor said, how are your tannins? Also what is your F.G.? A little sweetener to bring up your F.G can help balance an acidic mead. If it is already tart, you probably don't want to add more acid, especially with out knowing where your numbers are.

Back