Accidentally used flaked rice instead of rice hulls!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcodville

Reaction score
I didn't realize they were two different things. After doing some research I now know they are vastly different lol.

This is the grain bill for a 4 gallon wheat beer

2kg white wheat
0.75kg 2 row
0.25 flaked rice
0.25oz sweet orange peel
0.25oz bitter orange peel
Hop schedule is all cascade at 60, 15 and 5 can't remember the exact oz right now
WB-6 dry yeast

I was just wondering how much my addition of flaked rice will change the outcome of this beer? I hope I didn't mess it up too much with this rookie mistake.

A 1/4 pound of flaked rice is pretty insignificant, so there shouldn't be any difference.

The reason to use rice hulls is because wheat is hull-less, so really difficult to sparge. Rice hulls are used for "space" so that the water can flow through the grainbed. If you are brewing in a bag, or otherwise able to separate the wort from the grain (lauter), no need for rice hulls.

If you were able to not get a stuck mash or stuck sparge with that grain bill, I have to assume you were brewing in a bag!

All is fine.

You will not notice it in the finished product.

- It will add about .2% abv

- It will not affect body

- It will not impart any unwanted flavors.

Awesome thanks for the quick responses guys. Yeah it was BIAB as you correctly guessed. Now I don't have to worry I can forget about it for two weeks and bottle it up

If you used white wheat malt you could have increased the amount of flaked rice for a lighter colored and higher alcohol beer. The enzymes will convert the starches in the rice just fine and the rice has no color contribution so your beer looks lighter.

Latest posts

Back