Accidental Kombucha?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewit75

Reaction score
Cleaning out the fridge, I found a gallon of Arizona Sweet Tea that had about 1/4 left. Took it out and the liquid was separated (clear on top and darker on bottom) with about 10-15 small, round, dark discs floating. I poured out some into my hand and caught one of them. It's soft, mushy, formed and thick. The liquid smells sweet and tangy. So tempted to taste but didn't have the nerve.

So, I brewed some black tea, added sugar and poured it all into the Arizona container. It's now about 3/4 full and sitting on the kitchen counter. Going to leave it there for a while and watch.

Disks may have formed from residual sugars leftover in the actual tea- chances are unless you added actual kombucha to the arizona tea that it isn't Kombucha or a scoby. Microbes in the media and the starters would make it- It would take hundreds of years to grow the microbes able to take on a liquid culture and from naturally occuring yeast no doubt.

Pictures help alot. Could be a multitude of things.

-best wishes

Last edited:
Understood. Hard to believe that a scoby would just show up. I'll post pics later.

Back