Accelerated Fermentation Schedule (In time for Christmas??)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpietraski

Reaction score
So here's my problem. I recently completed my four faucet keezer (see photo), and had grand plans of having a four brews available for the Christmas gathering. However, I somehow managed to kick my keg of Northern Brewer's Spiced Winter Ale a month ahead of schedule...I actually know what happened; I drank the hell out of it. It's a pretty good recipe, plus having it on draft makes it awfully convenient. Get home from work, have a beer. Watching the game, have a beer. Take out the dog, have a beer...

So I'm wondering if it's possible to brew another batch and have it ready in time for Christmas?

Here's what I'm thinking.
1) I can order the extract kit and get it by 11/26. The first batch was the all grain version. But time is tight, and I also need to replace my ball joints on my truck.
2) I can make a 1/2gal starter (yeast: Safale S-04), to jump start the fermentation. I would need to make it now, then stash it in the fridge until the brewday.
3) I will brew on 11/28 (I don't even need to take off that day. Here in Central PA, we have off for the opening day of deer season. Since I don't hunt, I'll brew...And replace my ball joints.
4) Leave it to ferment for 3 weeks (at ~64F), and keg it on 12/19.
5) Force carb in keezer at 25psi for 2 days (12/21).
6) Then turn down to dispensing pressure (10psi).

Anyone see any issues?
Or recommendations to ensure its ready by Christmas?

Northern Brewer says this recipe is ready in 6 weeks, but this schedule only allows for 3 weeks.
It's a spiced Scottish Style Ale (OG: 1.043)

P1070806.JPG

Just brew a smaller beer like a bitter or mild. These would be easily ready by Christmas. See the most recent issue of Zymurgy.

It's a Scottish with an OG of 1.043? No problem at all. But I'd be hesitant to use S04 because a Scottish often has flavors derived from the yeast. If you have to use So4, don't make a starter as one package is fine. Ferment at 65 degrees for 10 days or so, and then keg. No problem. I wouldn't burst carb it and try to lower the psi. I'd just keg it and leave it alone.

the only issue I see is "spices". Sometimes that takes a while to mellow.

Well, I order this kit. Might get it by Wed. Then I can get it into the primary before Thanksgiving. Which would be awesome. If not, it'll have to wait till Mon.

Yooper, Why isn't a starter needed? Would it hurt? Let's just say, since my first post, I started my starter. However, I'm waiting for it to cool, so I haven't added the yeast yet.

Well, I order this kit. Might get it by Wed. Then I can get it into the primary before Thanksgiving. Which would be awesome. If not, it'll have to wait till Mon.

Yooper, Why isn't a starter needed? Would it hurt? Let's just say, since my first post, I started my starter. However, I'm waiting for it to cool, so I haven't added the yeast yet.

Dry yeast has plenty of yeast cells, and you won't need a starter for anything less than about 1.060 or so. The company itself recommends either sprinkling, or rehydrating with no starter: http://www.fermentis.com/fo/pdf/HB/EN/Safale_S-04_HB.pdf

If you have a bigger OG, you just pitch two packages.

Well I managed to brew the extract version of the winter ale on Tues. Everything's fermenting well. Looks like it will be a good Christmas after all.

Back