AC Fermentation chamber build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kroach01

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone, been out of the game for a while because life was a little crazy and brewing is nearly impossible in NYC.
Just bought a house in NC and built a fermentation chamber to step up my game a little with regards to my brewing process. I think fermentation temperatures played a huge part in the quality of my brews and this unit will also keep the beer out of light.
I've tried the frozen bottles in buckets but thats a nuisance and I work 50-70h/week so also impractical
Anyways, here are some pictures.

IMG_2298[1].jpg

IMG_2299[1].jpg

IMG_2301[1].jpg

IMG_2300[1].jpg

IMG_2302[1].jpg

IMG_2304[1].jpg

Well one pic was sideways, apologies.
I used a 5000 btu window ac unit from my Brooklyn apartment and 3 layers of .75" styrofoam to insulate.
Insulating is a pain in the @ss and took the most time. It doesn't help that I'm impatient and NC is hot and humid.
Johnson control unit. AC set to kick on at 65 and turn off at 63. Thoughts on these set points for ales?
Planning a double IPA to brew tomorrow for her maiden voyage. I'll let you know how it goes if there's any interest.

This was the first thing I've built by the way, aside from stuff with erector sets when I was a kid. It's definitely not perfect but maintains the temp OK. AC kicks on every 30-45 mins for a couple of mins depending on the garage temp.

It's been fired up a few days now with the probe in a 1L jar of water. I'd say it turns on every 30 mins depending on how hot it is outside.
Only "problem" is that water leaks from the unit and I have to keep a pan beneath it so the wood doesn't rot.
Johnson temp control unit.
I ripped apart the entire AC to rewire it and realized I just plug the AC unit into the Johnson unit. Whoops! Did I mention I'm impatient?

Thanks! :mug::mug:
I'm hoping I could lager in winter but temps will get a bit low for ales. Maybe I will ferment ales inside during winter?

What are your thoughts on 63-65 for ale temps? My target is 68-70 in the carboy. The thermometer sits in a 1L jar of water

Really think about the "Cheap Brewpi" controller - my chamber is similar and it hold temps (in a thermowell) very closely.

Nice build!

Really think about the "Cheap Brewpi" controller - my chamber is similar and it hold temps (in a thermowell) very closely.

Nice build!

Never heard of that until now.
Looks impressive! I see the BrewPi device and software, is the "cheap" brewpi a different setup?
This definitely looks like the next level for much more accurate temperatures. Appreciate the suggestion!
Are you using the brewpi?

Never heard of that until now.
Looks impressive! I see the BrewPi device and software, is the "cheap" brewpi a different setup?
This definitely looks like the next level for much more accurate temperatures. Appreciate the suggestion!
Are you using the brewpi?

Yes sir I am.

The "Cheap" BrewPi is simply a Raspberry Pi and an Arduino, a resistor, three DS18B10 temp probes, and a two relay output board. Wire it all up and follow the step by step instructions in the thread and for $50 or $60 bucks you've got a pretty sweet web enabled temperature controller that logs your fermentations great!

Welcome to NC.

Nice build. Im sure this will make a difference in the beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks man, cheers.

Brewing a DIPA at the moment. Do you know of any NC group grain buys?

I brewed a black IPA a couple of weekends ago. Its about close to kegging.

I do not know of any group buys. I buy all of my grains, hops, etc at a store south of Raleigh, called Homesteaders. They have really good deals on bulk grain.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back