About to start kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boswell3000

Reaction score
I recently obtained a single-tower, Haier keggerator from a friend who no longer used it, and I'm ready to convert my home brewing operation into kegs rather than bottling. While the keggerator came along with all the necessary components, I'm going to have to invest in some kegs.

Are there advantages to using ball-lock corney kegs over pin-lock kegs, or vice versa? I plan to purchase used... whatever version yields the best results, but ease of use is also important to me. Any keggers out there who can offer some advice to a kegging noob?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Ball locks will have a relief valve on the lid whereas pinlocks, many times, do not. I just started kegging as well and I use pinlocks because I find them to be a little cheaper. I have no experience using balllocks but I find pinlocks to be adequate for dispensing and secondary. If I need to relieve pressure I use the end of a screwdriver to press down on the stem, there are adapters available for that purpose but you don't need them.

Back