About to be a grandma.......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, my daughter is in the hospital now, being induced.

Here's a picture from the brewday last Saturday:
DSCF3035.jpg

I'm going over to the hospital at noon, to be there if she needs me. I don't feel quite old enough to be a grandmother, though!

You ARE old enough, apparently!

My BIL had a kid and that's when I realized that I could be his dad and hence be a grandpareant! If you figure you have a kid at 18, and they have a kid at 18, you are only 36 when you are a grandparent. Yikes!

Sending prayers and hoisting a pint for the big event coming up soon!

You ARE old enough, apparently!

My BIL had a kid and that's when I realized that I could be his dad and hence be a grandpareant! If you figure you have a kid at 18, and they have a kid at 18, you are only 36 when you are a grandparent. Yikes!

Sending prayers and hoisting a pint for the big event coming up soon!

I'll tell Tara that you're sending prayers. She's busy moaning right now. :D

Thanks for all the good wishes. She's dilated to 5cm right now, so it should be happening later today!

Congratulations! Looking forward to hearing your Grandma stories. This is a great time in life, just can’t figure out how we got here.

TMI, TMI!!!!!! :p

Seriously though, congatulations!

She was 2cm at the brewday weekend before last. I think my wife went from 0 to 10 in less than 24 hours last time. In fact, the first time the got to measure her, they said they were going to take her to the birthing room as soon as her next contraction was over. Doctor barely had time to put her gloves on to catch the baby!

Let's just hope and pray this doesn't stretch on for too many hours. They say the first one is usually the hardest.

She was 2cm at the brewday weekend before last. I think my wife went from 0 to 10 in less than 24 hours last time. In fact, the first time the got to measure her, they said they were going to take her to the birthing room as soon as her next contraction was over. Doctor barely had time to put her gloves on to catch the baby!

Let's just hope and pray this doesn't stretch on for too many hours. They say the first one is usually the hardest.

Once again, WHY are you sharing this with me?!?! :p

oops, sorry. Didn't realize you had TMI up there.

I personally think it's a cool and interesting event (except the part where the doctor an episiotomy. It sounds like tearing lettuce!)

My wife is still pissed that I filmed her having contractions. I don't see the big deal.

Q was like a rocket ship, too. They induced my wife at 11:00 AM; he was born before 5:00. She wanted an epidural this time, but there was absolutely no time for one. Wife was a couple days overdue, we'd already been up to the hospital three times with what she *thought* were the beginning of major contractions. Had a 9:00 with the doc, and basically begged her to induce.

Well, my Q was born at 2:06 CDT.

He's doing ok. He has what appears to be a small pneumonia, and he's in isolation but they are taking another chest x-ray at 7 PM. He's now off oxygen, and his vitals are good. He's on IV antibiotics and breathing quite well except for some "grunting". The worst part is that Chris (the dad) didn't even get to hold him. Tara did briefly, then they whisked him away to take care of him. They did get to go into the unit and touch him, and by tomorrow they'll have him in her room and they'll get to hold him and feed him. I only got to see him through the glass window.

He is 8 pounds, 5 ounces and 19 1/4 inches tall. His name is Quinn Robert.

A pic (he's pretty bruised from the delivery and he is much more gorgeous than it appears!):
DSCF3041.jpg

:rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

Did Chris get to cut the cord? Those damn things are like bicycle tires.

Yep, he did! He has a pair of footprints on his forearm- he's quite proud!

Is she sure it's hers!? Er, I mean congrats!!! :D

Actually, I won't bore you with all of the details but my brother and I have a unique feature on our right foot. Both of us, and no one else. Not my kids, nor his. Guess what????? Quinn has the same feature. I didn't get to see him that close, but I saw the nurse's notes about a "rotated toe on the right foot". When the nurse pointed it out to Tara and Chris, while I was at the window, Tara looked up and me and went, "Mommmmmmmmm!" I laughed and said that now I knew he was hers. I had to remove my shoe for the nurse who said "Yep, that's the same thing!"

Congratulations. I do like it when my grandchildren come to visit. And even more when their parents take then home. But for sure they are a real blessing.

Congrats grandma Yooper! enjoy spoiling him, hopping him up on sugar, then shipping him home with mom!

Thanks! I'm sure I told you all this, but I got some shirts from Nikobrew. Mine is an adult, and his is a size 3 month onesie. His denotes that he is the "micro brewer". Tara just laughed and rolled her eyes at out matching brewing t-shirts! (I got him a toddler size, too, for later!)

What, as a GMILF instead of a regular old MILF?
Ssshhhh!!! :p

I can't explain it exactly. Yoop's only slightly older than me, yet my kids are 7 and 5. I can't imagine being a grandparent in a few years.

Let's put it this way. I admire Yooper not just for her unbelievable brewing knowledge, her graciousness and her good looks, but that she has apparently lived a very good life.

How's that? :)

Ssshhhh!!! :p

I can't explain it exactly. Yoop's only slightly older than me, yet my kids are 7 and 5. I can't imagine being a grandparent in a few years.

Let's put it this way. I admire Yooper not just for her unbelievable brewing knowledge, her graciousness and her good looks, but that she has apparently lived a very good life.

How's that? :)

Geesh- you make me sound OLD!

I just got some news- he's not doing as well as hoped and he's being tranferred via ambulance to a bigger hospital with a full NICU. He's going alone. Tara may be discharged tomorrow, and can drive up there with Chris to be with him.

At this point, the pediatrician said it's more of a precautionary measure than a true emergency, but he has to be monitored closely where there is a neonatologist. It's about 90 miles from here. The hospital where he is now is about 40 miles the other direction.

I asked Tara if she wanted me to go to the hospital to be with the baby until she could get there, but she said no. She said that he's being well cared for, and I'd only be in the way. She's probably right (how grown up of her) but I feel badly for him.

I just got some news- he's not doing as well as hoped and he's being tranferred via ambulance to a bigger hospital with a full NICU. He's going alone. Tara may be discharged tomorrow, and can drive up there with Chris to be with him.

At this point, the pediatrician said it's more of a precautionary measure than a true emergency, but he has to be monitored closely where there is a neonatologist. It's about 90 miles from here. The hospital where he is now is about 40 miles the other direction.

I asked Tara if she wanted me to go to the hospital to be with the baby until she could get there, but she said no. She said that he's being well cared for, and I'd only be in the way. She's probably right (how grown up of her) but I feel badly for him.
Don't worry Gramma! Hes gonna be fine- I will keep all of you in my thoughts and send good thoughts your way! But here is a {{{{{HUG}}}}} for you.
You are so gonna love being a Gramma (or noni, or nanner or gran, or Oma, or even Ammma!) My only grand child (girl) is the light of my life and I've only had her for almost 2 years (the big 2 is coming in August) and even grumpy as she was today, I love her to pieces! And of course, I am Ammmmmma! which she shouts out and just runs on over to me!
allthepicturesonmyphoneasof4-22--3.jpg

Just don't look at all the books and crap on the floor that day!:eek:

Not the intent. Jeez, I get all flabbergasted around you. :eek::D

I will pray that everything is OK. I bet it will be. My niece had a similar situation, was in NICU for a month. She's now a beautiful 16-month old.

oops, sorry. Didn't realize you had TMI up there.

I personally think it's a cool and interesting event (except the part where the doctor an episiotomy. It sounds like tearing lettuce!)

My wife is still pissed that I filmed her having contractions. I don't see the big deal.

At least you got some film, I have nothing! My ex-hubby videoed everyone and their grandmother with my newborn. Did he ever think that maybe I might want one with my newly delivered son? NOOOOOOOO! Not one picture or film of me and my child. There are pictures of people I have no idea who they are. Grrrrr...... lol

Back