A Pub wants my brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pardon my crude German, but holy ****! Ok, yea, a bit on the Nightmare'ish side. And if I was to run those ropes, I might as well maintain a brew pub of my own just to make the effort worth the reward. Just stinks, thought this might be a nice way to have the brewing pay for itself.
The license sounds straight forward enough. But can you give me an idea of any other hurdles if the Dep of Alcohol is only the first hurdle?
Are you within the incorporated limits of the City of Riverside or are you out in the County?

Gordie is right, your biggest hurdle is the local zoning laws, especially if you're going to brew in your home.

Ok - here's the real deal for California in 8 easy steps.
Gordie

No wonder CA has many more micro breweries than OH that process sounds quite easy and inexpensive. I think a restaurant may be more difficult.

I know here in OH the license to brew beer is nearly $4000/year. And that doesn't include any other costs. I imagine most of the steps are similar.

On the other hand a license to make wine from fruits grown on-site is only $150/yr. The current law encourage wine making to help support Ohio agriculture and tourism but discourage beer brewing.

Craig

No wonder CA has many more micro breweries than OH that process sounds quite easy and inexpensive. I think a restaurant may be more difficult.

I know here in OH the license to brew beer is nearly $4000/year. And that doesn't include any other costs. I imagine most of the steps are similar.

On the other hand a license to make wine from fruits grown on-site is only $150/yr. The current law encourage wine making to help support Ohio agriculture and tourism but discourage beer brewing.

Craig

I can summarize OH beer law in one word.... LAME! :mad:

Where I live, you must have a commercial "non-residential" kitchen to use in preparation of any cooked goods to be sold for retail.

I have a friend who, after years of chef-ing, decided to try and sell the goat cheese she makes. Talk about a pain. Makes beer look like something the regulators forgot.

Really - in CA the biggest hurdle is finding a location that the planning folks will approve. If you're still interested, go down there and talk to them. They're actually quite helpful and can save you a bunch of time. Same with - believe it or not - the ABC folks. If your garage doesn't work, see if you know someone with some free industrial space that you can brew in. All you really need is a reliable drain for waste water management and most of the rest should fall into place.

so what kind of beer is it that they want to sell of yours?

Oddly enough, one of my Wheat Experiments. Simplest way to do it is take an American Wheat kit, Add 2 #'s of Orange Blossom Honey at the last 5 mins of the boil, then bottle 10 days later. I am tempted to offer him 'Training', and show him how to brew this as well as how to be clean about everything.

Also going to be talking to him about using his Space for future Meetings and Demonstrations. Got a lot of room with a awesome view from the hills overlooking Riverside.

Oddly enough, one of my Wheat Experiments. Simplest way to do it is take an American Wheat kit, Add 2 #'s of Orange Blossom Honey at the last 5 mins of the boil, then bottle 10 days later. I am tempted to offer him 'Training', and show him how to brew this as well as how to be clean about everything.

Also going to be talking to him about using his Space for future Meetings and Demonstrations. Got a lot of room with a awesome view from the hills overlooking Riverside.

That might be a problem.
What I have seen for New York law, at least, it seems like if you use any type of "food" product at all in your brewing (anything outside of water, yeast, hops and grain) then you need to go through the FDA. Otherwise, you only need to deal with the BATF... don't quote me on this, though. Only been looking through it for myself for a few weeks.

EDIT: Yea, and Gordie said the same in his informative post.

You might want to look into finding a brewery that will do contract brewing. That would probably save most of the licensing hassle and legal fees etc. Required minimum batch sizes might be an issue though.

That was going to be my suggestion.

Where I live, you must have a commercial "non-residential" kitchen to use in preparation of any cooked goods to be sold for retail.

What about renting a commercial kitchen out for a night. A church, soup kitchen, or other place that would have regular inspections. That way you wouldn't have to worry about buying/maintaining a space, but could still utilize their certificate.

The problem with temporary or rented space is that the license is attached to the premises, not the person. You submit a diagram where you shade in where the licensed activity is going to take place.

Your best option might be to brew under someone else's license. The beer would be taxed and produced through their license, but its no big deal to get a special label approved (takes about a week). You don't even need to use their equipment - just do it at their place. If you're serious about it, they could also walk you through the reporting and whatever and show you what's involved in dealing with the commercial production of beer. Then you can decide if its something you want to spend the time messing with.

Only if the bar has the right license. Licensing for a bar is different from a brew pub.
but since the brew pub already has Health Department permits, it might be easier to amend the DPH permits and apply for a Type 23 at the on-sale location.

Incidentally, I think brewpubs [in the context of ABC licenses] are defined as being able to brew on premises and require a Type 23 license, whereas the pub/tavern/bar probably has a Type 40 [strictly a bar] or Type 41 [restaurant].

Yup. A Type 23 is the same license for a brew pub.

Sorry to pick this back up a bit late, but I just want to clear this up, Do I need the Type 23 and have the Pub Owner obtain a Brewpub License? Or can the pub just get the brewpub and hire me to cook, or do I simply just get the Type 23 myself?

From this thread, I am planning on getting my Type 23 and Tax Bonding. I have already spoke with the Owner and he is going to allow me to use his Kitchen and Cold Storage for Brews to sell and my 'Experiments', and willing to help where possible in making this all legit.

I also made him aware I have no production brewing experience, I still do 5 Gallon Batches, and I just started all of this in Jan. of this year. And the guy is still all about this. Crazy.

Hey Stark - ran across this thread again.

How's it going? Did you get up and running?

Gordie

Yeah, I was wondering about this too. Though I guess you haven't had nearly enough time for the paperwork and other ancillary expenses to get done yet. I am very interested in this, as I've already had a few comments from folks like my doctor (my pcp is also a friend of the family) inquiring as to the possibility of actually selling some of my product. I'm not sure I'm all that crazy about it though.
On one hand, it would be really nice for my beers to actually pay for some of the ingredients and allow me to essentially 'brew for free' -and it would be really cool to know that my product was good enough to have a true payable demand.
On the other, I'm not too sure I want to become a slave to production -sometimes I just feel like brewing different styles, or outright experimenting (had some pretty interesting results, and have had batches that were essentially pretty tough to drink -though this generally resulted in bottling and storage in the hopes that maturity would make it good). Dunno. It might be nice to one day see my stuff have a true demand.
In any case, I intend to follow your experiences as you post them.

Hey Stark - ran across this thread again.

How's it going? Did you get up and running?

Gordie

Got all the information collected, started to go through the process and then the Economy jumped and bit the Owner right where it ain't right, and he sold the Pub before we could sit down and get things submitted (He was going to pick up all the fees for this year.) So, no selling just yet, a bit of a bummer, but I have somewhat placed all that on hold while I continue to develop myself a bit more.

Back