A moron! ME!!!....Hard to believe, I know

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

Reaction score
Such a great day! Sunshine all the way, scammed a day off work....Brew going perfectly.

Why the hell did I dump my sweet wort into the boil kettle without realising that there was between 1-3 gallons of water already in there!???

I'm having to boil it off now....doing it by eyeballing the aproximate volume...... mmmmm, caramel! :)

Could be worse. Could have been 1-3 gallons of cleaner or sanitizer.

Still a bummer tho'. How many gallons had you already dumped before you realized?

Could be worse. Could have been 1-3 gallons of cleaner or sanitizer.

Still a bummer tho'. How many gallons had you already dumped before you realized?

I just realised something was wrong when My run off wouldn't fit into my keggle.

All brewhouse efficiency calculations are now off. :(

I had one of those "Doh!" moments a few weeks ago, when I kegged my APA. I rinsed the oxi-clean out of my keg, answered the phone, came back and started racking WITHOUT rinsing the keg with StarSan! It was halfway done before I realized...oh well. Threw it into cold storage (I usually leave them at room temp for a few weeks first) and figured I'd have to drink it sooner rather than later.

Tapped it last week...it's perfect! :D

I did something really stupid over the weekend also. I was pre-boiling in my new large aluminum kettle and needed to remove the hot water. So instead of picking it up and burning myself I said "WOW this auto siphon will do the trick". Now I have a banana siphon!

It'll be dark, exotic and expensive when you're done, you better enjoy this one.:D

May I recommend a volume gauge, or a 5.5 gallon friggin' stick, at the very least?:)

At least you know the valve was shut. Hot wort running down your leg is a heck of a wake-up.

I tried to pour wort from my brew pot into the fermenter through a funnel (I'm using a bottle instead of my usual bin) - however my pot doesn't have a lip on it so wort went everywhere... I've also tried to siphon wort without removing the hops...

My three tier system consists of the HLT on the counter, MLT on a chair and the brewpot on the floor. More than once :eek: I've started my first runnings with the valve on the brewpot open. Sticky mess on the kitchen floor!

Glad I have a dog. :D

I'd give it 9 out of 10 times that I open the valve to drain to the BK, only to immediately shut it because I wasn't ready with the pitcher to vorlauf. :mad:

Latest posts

Back