A little iodine gonna hurt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thor the Mighty

Reaction score
ok so i made a hoegaarden clone and the brewday went off without a hitch, but then i did something stupid; i didnt have vodka to fill the airlock up with, so i filled it with water/iodine, and when i put the lid on the primary, some suckback made a little iodine fly into the yeast/wort. is this going to completely screw me over? off flavors? anything? i sure hope not

I've never used anything but spring water in my airlock, is that a big screw up?

No...you can use just about anything...like most aspect of brewing, we all have preferences, there's no right or wrong way to do anything, but there is usually 50 different ways to do the same thing, and a bunch of adherents to each one

. A lot of people use vodka or other grain alchohol, some use tap water (I have on occasion), some use pre-boiled or bottled water (like you do) some use sanitizer...I started doing that because just before I was filling it I was pulling it out of my bucket of sanitizer and dumping the sanitizer out of it to fill it with water...and I didn't see the point, since the liguid is sanitized as well.

Me too. I started off by using cheap vodka and then realized that it was a waste of money.

I think that having a sanitizer in the airlock might be marginally better than having water, because no germs would live in it.

If that is the case, then vodka is probably a good choice for sanitizer. Iodophor would work for the first x hours then lose it's sanitizing ability. Starsan might last a long time. But vodka is handing, doesn't have to be mixed, and can be very cheap.

damn right! thats exactly why i DONT have alcohol layin around. once i have a fifth of vodka just chillin its bound to be used for ONE airlock and the rest poured into a growler, sprinkled with lemon juice and strait up murdered by me while im trying to brew the next batch. oi.

thanks for the responses

Some suckback made a little iodine fly into the yeast/wort. is this going to completely screw me over? off flavors? anything? i sure hope not

To avoid this at all I always use a blowoff tube into Starsan in a gallon container. I get no suckback, ever.

if you're a regular vodka drinker than why would you drink cheap vodka? and if you don't keep vodka around then why buy cheap stuff just to pour into an airlock? i always use a blowoff for the first few days, after that sanitizer into the airlock.

Back