A hop cone in the glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ó Flannagáin said:
That thing is AWESOME!

Did you check out the dudes smile pouring that pitcher? hah.. i'm sure something smaller could be made for home use.. I'm starting to realize I like hops, but im not a hop head. Just really like all beers...malt is my friend.

I think cones in the glass sounds awesome and would at least look super good if it doesn't add much in aroma (but I bet it would).

You n00bs have never seen a randall before today????????

We've been building/using them on this forum for a LONG time! Get outcha caves and live the hops!

BTW, LOVE the hop cone in a glass idea.

I added a few pellets of EKG to a beer the other night. It was the first beer I brewed (just amber lme and ekg....pretty 1 sided) and it was AWESOME! This beer was kinda lame and was just asking for something to make it stand out.

It was kinda gross looking though bc after a few minutes the pellets just became a sludge. It did however increase aroma A LOT and deffinatly gave it some hop flavor. It was kinda hard to drink though, I tried my best not to drink any hops but a few slipped through, oh and I left the last inch or so in the glass

SO, i'm sure a few hop cones in a IIPA would ROCK :rockin:

I have put hops im most of my beers...all I had was pellets they floated and did not get in the way until you got towards the end of the glass. They stayed pretty uniform in all of my experience, maybe a few small pieces fell off the pellet. They were all very good

It might be fun to watch the drunk ones try chewing on em. Now that I think about it, I might even try that. Have you tried it yet, just floating one to see what happens not the chewing part?

RangerG said:
It might be fun to watch the drunk ones try chewing on em. Now that I think about it, I might even try that. Have you tried it yet, just floating one to see what happens not the chewing part?

I've never used whole leaf hops before, but I really wish I had some now. i want to try this out with my IIPA I have going right now.

I have put a few in IPA pints before, You definitely smell the difference. No real change in taste.

I've chewed on a few hop cones just to see what the difference was between varieties. To tell yah the truth they didnt taste much like anything, not even a hint of bitterness. The boiling process must be part of the equation that turns them bitter. They do smell so good though.

z987k said:
people may even be inclined to try and eat them.
after they get the first chomp out of their system the hops will be promptly and possibly violently removed from the mouth!

We were throwing fresh hop cones picked right from the vine at the tasting room closest to my house. It adds some nice fresh hop aroma, but doesn't do much for taste. I would imagine dried hops (pellet or whole) would fall apart and you'd have petals floating around.

We also made hop mojito's at the brewpub before we brewed our Harvest ale with fresh cascades. Those were quite possibly the best mixed drink I have had.
2 oz rum
2 sugar packets
2 muddled fresh hop cones
splash of rose's lime
top with 7 or soda to desired sweetness.

Back