A friendly place for friends who drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ice apocalypse
20180116_123132_Film1.jpg

Mt Hood and either Perle or Sterling, my co-worker wasn't sure. He's gotten good harvests from the Mt Hood and it's already grown at least 1/2 inch since I planted it. Was a beautiful day today but rain is coming (go figure) and temps down to the low 50's again. I hate April.

Haven't ever used Mt Hood, but I like Perle and Sterling both for porters and browns as the bittering hop. Will be interesting to get to use fresh hops for the first time.

Just finished filling 28 22's with raspberry cream ale...bottling sucks. NOW I remember why I've got kegs. Added raspberry syrup to this one so want to see what happens. And made spaghetti sauce this morning and flung it in the crockpot to sit for 10 hours, and it smells so darn good I'm eating a bowl of it. And getting slightly creeped out by the ad for Healthcare Boxers from Newchic on the screen....that looks painful.

As long as the bottles are rinsed out after drinking it's not too bad. I never delable. My Keggorator died a while back but just bought 2.5gal kegs with the new small chest freezer. I have no taps since we had a few accidents with the grandkids on the old Keggorator. Also moved from all grain to partial mashes..beer life is much easier now.

Funny story...back in the day before I started kegging, I never delabelled my bottles either. Put three 22's in the fridge that had been sitting a few weeks carbing up. It was my House IPA. Not paying attention, husband grabs one and cracks it open, starts drinking. "Hey honey, you really need to try this IPA from (can't remember the brewery), it's really good!". At this point he was kinda meh on my brewing (didn't think I'd stick with it) so he had no clue it was one of mine. I saw the cap on the counter and realized he was raving about one of MY brews. Laughed my a** off at that one.

Just over 2 years now. Went the whole route from extract, to partial mash, to all grain in a mash tun that most of you guys would have cringed at, to the cobbled-together three vessel system I have now. Husband's contributions have been as chief taster (only when it's completely carbed, he hates green beer), occasional heavy lifter, and mostly turning a blind eye when his wife gets the brewing bug and goes out and spends $$ she shouldn't at the LHBS. Sitting here this morning agonizing over the fact that the co2 tank is about to tank (lol) so there goes the brewing budget for this week. Sigh. It's a cold rainy morning, my favorite kind of weather for brewing.

Between the house projects, and the overtime to pay for it, ramping down for a bit. Bottling my last beer tonight, a free Northern Brewer extract kit which looks like will be like 3.5% for some reason.[emoji53] Other wise loaded for a while...

Available....
-True Barrel RIS
-Cherry Quad
-True Barrel Quad
-Raspberry/Cherry Tart experiment
- Stout
- Mango Hard Lemonade
- West Coast IPA
- Soon to be Red

Absolutely plu-perfect Raspberry Cream Ale I brewed a couple weeks ago. First beer I've completely bottled since early last year. Don't know if I can replicate it, was a second runnings off a Pliny clone, added corn & biscuit to the mash after pulling the Pliny wort. Fermented with 5 pounds of raspberries, and bottled with not priming sugar but homemade raspberry syrup. Light, refreshing, NOT sour, just a perfect raspberry taste with a hint of malt. And it will last a LONG time since I don't have enough room in the fridge for 24 22's.

20180417_171106[1].jpg

Absolutely plu-perfect Raspberry Cream Ale I brewed a couple weeks ago. First beer I've completely bottled since early last year. Don't know if I can replicate it, was a second runnings off a Pliny clone, added corn & biscuit to the mash after pulling the Pliny wort. Fermented with 5 pounds of raspberries, and bottled with not priming sugar but homemade raspberry syrup. Light, refreshing, NOT sour, just a perfect raspberry taste with a hint of malt. And it will last a LONG time since I don't have enough room in the fridge for 24 22's.]

I need to try fermenting the raspberries instead of adding in secondary for flavor. Used WL644 for a tart taste in a Friek to mimic a sour..but not quite what I wanted. Pliny is pretty simple malt bill. Must be the biscuit your tasting?

I need to try fermenting the raspberries instead of adding in secondary for flavor. Used WL644 for a tart taste in a Friek to mimic a sour..but not quite what I wanted. Pliny is pretty simple malt bill. Must be the biscuit your tasting?

The actual beer itself is pretty light, maybe 4.5%. Used the Pliny grain bill from beersmith, however I upped the two row to 17lbs since I intended to do a second runnings batch. Once I had the Pliny wort out (all first runnings, adding some water at the beginning of the boil to get it up to my preboil volume) I added 1lb of biscuit and 2lbs of flaked corn to the tun and let it mash with the sparge water while the Pliny boiled. And yes, I think adding the raspberries to the fermenter (no wait time, they went in right after the yeast) rather than doing a secondary helped quite a bit. Going into the bottling bucket it was very tart with a great raspberry flavor. However I do think using raspberry syrup as the primer rather than straight sugar really did the trick. The syrup was made with 2.5lbs raspberries boiled with 2 cups sugar and water, adding some more water as it boiled down. Wound up with two quart mason jars of it, used all of one for the primer on this. I don't like sour beers or lambics; what I was going for in this recipe (and pretty much nailed it) was a light beer with a slightly sweet raspberry flavor.

I did this beer last year using a simple blonde grain bill as the base, however I really like it better with the corn & biscuit instead. If I do it again as a standalone, I'll use 8lbs two row, 1lb biscuit, and 2lbs flaked corn. It will probably wind up a bit stronger. The yeast I used is what I call my "house" yeast, basically washed Nottingham, and this was 2nd or 3rd generation, I think.

Back