A friendly place for friends who drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On way to pool, finished. Not that anybody cares but if you want the Brew log here it is. Went out to 55 minutes on boil to try to boil it down. Too much water, 5.5 into fermenter half gallon wasted.

How do you go from firing the burner to heat strike water to squeezing the bag in just over an hour? 30 minute mash?

10min to chill to pitch temp? How you do that?

BTW, I'm working on a kettle conversion to get a heat exchanger going. Hoping to save on ice/time, but mostly my back. Ha! But 10min seems very quick.

I know right and I'm the one who swore that immersion chillers didn't work. Around 10 o'clock in the morning here above a mile high things cool quickly. Also the water coming out of the ground is super cold. I grab the handles of the immersion Chiller and agitate it aggressively up and down, slowly at first. I also turn on the water as strong as it will go. Both are tips passed on to me through brulosophy. I think he got the tips from the jaded i.c. people.

I started worrying that I had made some sort of error. But no, marshall reported 11ish minutes and less for 10 gallons and even 3 or 4 for 5.5 gallons. I measured the water here at 57 degrees just now, so at 10 am it was even colder. High pressure and high agitation. In the experiment using a pump to recirculate past the chiller worked as well, but slower.

How do you go from firing the burner to heat strike water to squeezing the bag in just over an hour? 30 minute mash?

Great question I appreciate you asking. Actually about 15 minutes slower than normally. The 5500 watt element will take water from my hot water tank to strike in around 10 minutes. But I decided since we have a new hot water tank to use cold tap water. As you see it took 26 minutes to heat that to strike. Then standing right over it I take the heat stick out and put my bag in. Then I start dumping grains and once I'm done dumping and start stirring I start the 45-minute Mash. I kind of pinch the bag shut and stir super physically and aggressively for 5 minutes. I mean like I was whipping up cake batter. I do the same the last 5 minutes.

74 minutes ....

26 to heat
3 dough in
45 min. Mash

I noticed on 17 or 18 pounds of grain it only absorbed about .8 of a gallon of water. Is that normal? I wouldn't know don't usually measure. But I take a pot lid and colander over a bucket and get most the sweet liquor out. Will need to adjust the water for a 45 minute boil. Had to go 55 minutes and still ended up with 6 gallons. Should have just stayed the course and boiled to like 5 gallons for a stronger beer.

Hey chef quick question. Started pulling everything out yesterday, well my son did, and ran into a potential issue. Where the hood is smashed there is a bracket welded on so we cant pound it out. Is there a tool available or do we have to remove the bracket..any know-how would be great.

OT...water, just 100% water..at work.

Not 100% what you mean, a pic would help.

Great question I appreciate you asking. Actually about 15 minutes slower than normally. The 5500 watt element will take water from my hot water tank to strike in around 10 minutes.
That's fast i use bayou classic burner heating strike water is a pita.

I noticed on 17 or 18 pounds of grain it only absorbed about .8 of a gallon of water. Is that normal? .

That's pretty typical for me.

@bucknuts yeah it's submerged. Today felt pretty quick though. Surprised to finish in under three easily with Brewing part. I think I'm saving time by starting the mash when the grains get in and begin to get stirred instead of after that at some point. Same with boil. I see boil 45 min. start.

Good morning, happy memorial day. We live across from Denver's National Cemetery and every year they put flags on each Stone. It's a cool thing to see.

Softball night, i got "bud" for the team they dont drink this

I had to do a second take on your post (emphasis added). I know you're in Denver and all, but for a second I was thinking, what kind of team is this, and why don't I live in Denver?! [emoji238][emoji88][emoji269][emoji268]

im sorry, assumed that was a given ;) No actually, seems less a big deal. Some people smoke some dont, and that's kind of that. People are definitely moving here. But I want to share a story with you if I may, the news covered the first day of selling and the police were already and such. What they found was a bunch of people just like any of us. Old, young, wealthy, educated, poor, and a group of people more likely to buy you a bag of cheetos than steal them. Done wonders for our home value.

I hope this thread can Revitalize itself with people who are open and friendly. And who prefer to engage in intellectual discourse. I can't help but notice that there is a thread eerily similar to this where some individuals post about what they want for dinner, their wife's tacos, where they like to shop, you know things that the rest of us like to talk about. But then choose to essentially post garbage here, it's basically trolling. It's obvious that many have moved on to the cool thread wherever it is. Much of the discussion in a thread like that I basically just don't understand. I want to encourage everyone to invite as many new people as they can to this thread that was was formed out of a need. An open place where people can talk about what they want

With that being said I couldn't have sucked anymore last night. Maybe I needed some buds :). Hit hit 3 4 3 one week , I can't find the ball the next. I think it was that damn Melvin IPA. Got me all buzzed

Do you put hibiscus in boil or secondary?

Tire blew yesterday, now getting new tires, ughh!

In the secondary. Hi Nelson!

Tire blow outs stink, only encountered them with super cheap discount brands and used tires. Unless you have an existing problem; alignment, bent rim, tire pressure or ran flat too long and repaired it any way.

Why is everyone always talking crap about my wife's tacos? Sure the presentation may be lacking, but they taste fine.

:taco:

Fish, beef, chicken or :goat: :taco:
:goat:

I was going to open a can of whoop @$$ if my wifes was a point of reference too.

Not sure I have ever heard that inkleg, but makes sense.
I'm going to add bourbon & wood chips to that founders clone I was thinking about just adding them in the keg, any thoughts?

I flipping love tacos I tell you whut.

I love flipping tacos too. Go figure.

leo-cubo-tacos_medium.gif

Back