A few style questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conodor

Reaction score
Ok I'm a bit confused... Well more than my normal day.

So I want to brew a few English of Irish ales.

1)Are all English ales referred as bitters?

2)are all irish ales referred as red's?

I'm looking for some ides and not being a fan of IPAs I'm afraid of brewing an batch of a English ale only to find out its something I won't like (I didn't say I wouldn't drink it.haha)

Today on the way home I plan to pick up a sixer of each on the way home. Can anyone recommend an example of each style that isn't to bitter.

thanks.

1. No. Bitters are pale ales. A good non IPA (bitter) from England would be Newcastle Nut Brown Ale.
2. No. There are several Irish beers that are not "reds." Murphy's stout or Beamish are two that pop into my head.

Thanks. I've mainly stuck to the handfull of stlyes I enjoy. now that u upgraded to a 6 keg system I want to add variety. But I just don't enjoy the over bitter beer. So I'm avoiding it as much as possible.

I will pick up a sixer of each and decide from there. I had smithwicks in Niagara a few months back. Don't remember if I had A Newcastle

You say you don't like IPA's. I agree most are just plain over hopped. Plus, I see you are a member of CRAFT. At any rate, as much as I love the club, I noticed that MOST of the guys in the club who make IPA's way over hop them. I don't know if its true or not, but I think they over hop thier beer because their taste buds are fried from years and years of adding more hops. It seems like a vicious cycle. Although I too can't stand most IPAs, I absolutely love Bass Ale. It is lightly hopped, not too bitter, and has a slightly sweet hint that comes through. It is good in the bottle, but much better on tap.

Yeah out last party the IPAs were bitter. But to each their own. Funny you mention Bass, I enjoy that beer. But my last IPA I bought was great lakes brewing tripple river or something like that. Man was that a bitter beer.

+1 for bass. I bought it originally because I am a professional musician, and didn't know it was actually pronounced like the fish. Ahh to be 19 again...

+1 for bass. I bought it originally because I am a professional musician, and didn't know it was actually pronounced like the fish. Ahh to be 19 again...

There's a professional musician who I think is from your area. His name is Jody Raffoul. Fantastic music. I try to go to one of his shows when he plays in this area. The guy has lots of his own stuff as well does one of the best versions of Woodstock by CSNY that I have ever heard.

Generally, In the Ale category the less hoppy styles are Regular English bitters (Its a misnomer that there very bitter) milds, Irish ales and Scottish Ales. Notice there are no IPA's or imperials in what I said. Almost all Belgians, wheat beers and Lagers don't have a great deal of hops in them, flavors in these beers come from yeast or lack of yeast flavors. Those flavors tend to clash with the advanced hoppyness. There are a few styles of lagers like chek and bohemian lagers that are very bitter but they are the exceptions. My favorites are Helles, Vienna, Oktoberfest lagers, the Irish and Scottish ales, and during the summer American and German wheat beers.
If you want to learn more look up BJCP beer judging, it's well worth your time to find out about all the styles.

Yeah i want to start reading up the BJCP. Thanks for the other info. Ofest is one of my most favorite beers. DOn't know if i've had a vienna yet or not.

I'm irish, not a big stout fan mainly from the coffee taste, so i would like something other than a stout that is irish. at least for now.

Another question, just cracked open a newcastle, is it suppose to smell skunky? or did i get an old bottle? it's a busy store, i would think it's not that old but it's a 22oz. so maybe mostly they sell sixers.

it tastes good, might look into brewing something along the lines of this.

I would suggest a scottish light, or heavy (60/ or 70/), maybe a heavy/export (80/). depending on what you're looking for, other than a mildly hopped ale.

usually mildly hopped, to a light medium hop and a heavy malt character.

i'll start doing some more research on the listed styles thanks Ranger.

ok, i'm starting to taste the skunk in the new castle. not just the smell.

i'll start doing some more research on the listed styles thanks Ranger.

ok, i'm starting to taste the skunk in the new castle. not just the smell.

Sounds like you got a bad sixer... Rather than buying sixers of all the different styles, I strongly suggest you head over to Dragon Mead in Warren. You can get a sample of 5 different 5 oz beers for about 11 bucks. Dragonmead is nothing like Sherwood. Dragonmead has approximately 40-50 beers on tap, not the 4-5 like Sherwood.

Now granted, you will have to drink the beer there, but if you find one you really like, buy a growler.

I did this when I first got into brewing. I tasted 15 different beers that night. Gave me a great appreciation for the different styles and the different variations of individual styles.

Um you can blame dragonmead for this hobby...haha i drove by there every day on my way home from work. i moved a few miles, but still go. actually went twice in the last month.

I love the place! a bit pricey but you get what you pay for. Sometimes i'll pick up some food on the way and eat dinner there if they are having some entertainment.

Did you know they enlarged the place. it's longer now. they had a full band last saturday.

A guy in the bar said it's been a few months now. i was there after the post holiday craft party and i didnt' even notice it.haha

basically the area where the dart boards are, they cut the wall out. it's kinda weird looking, it was to busy so i didnt' walk down there, but it looked like part of the band was in an area you couldn't see. say your sitting at the bar, and facing the dart board direction. 1/2 of the band was in a section that was more towards 696.

I'll swing back in there after work some day for a quick one or 2 and check it out alittle better.

Latest posts

Back