A few noob questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobbaugh3

Reaction score
How long is it necessary to ferment for?

Can I treat the cider like a beer and have it ferment for 2 weeks, and then bottle condition for 2 weeks or is that completely not the case?

Is it necessary to use campden tablets before pitching the yeast? I thought the tablets hindered the yeasts growth?

It might be done in as little as two weeks- I've had that happen. It's not always finished and clear by then, so that could take a bit longer. If you use a flocculant yeast strain, like S04, it can be really done and clear in two weeks. Then, yes, you could bottle condition it like you would be.

Campden (sulfite) is used in non-pasteurized juice 24 hours before adding yeast to kill bacteria and some wild yeast strains- wine yeast and brewer's yeast is very tolerant of sulfites and that's why campden can be used as an antioxidant for cider and wine. I use sulfites (campden) at every other racking and at bottling for my wines, usually less for cider.

How long is it necessary to ferment for?

For as long as it takes. Yeast and temperature directly affect that. I've had batches finished and cleared in 4 weeks and others that took 2 months. Your hydrometer is your friend.

Can I treat the cider like a beer and have it ferment for 2 weeks, and then bottle condition for 2 weeks or is that completely not the case?

Cider ain't beer. The sugars in cider are 100% fermentable. You have to wait until the yeast is done as indicated by SG readings. If you ferment at the low end of the yeast's range you'll get the most flavor and aromatics from your cider, at the expense of time. Understand that "farmhouse" scrumpy ciders with wild yeast are started in November and finish when the apple trees are blossoming again in spring.

Is it necessary to use campden tablets before pitching the yeast? I thought the tablets hindered the yeasts growth?

With unpasteurized juice we use Campden to subdue wild yeasts and kill unwanted bacteria. With pasteurized juice it's not necessary but doesn't hurt. Commercial yeasts are cultivated to be resistant to it (to certain levels anyway).

Back