A Controversial Question: What is the best crappy beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best crappy beer has to be Blue Moon since it's owned by Coors. I'm still baffled how they they get the horses to piss in the cans.

Hey, the thread title contains the word "controversial," so let's dance.

I think 80% of Blue Moon hate comes from two facts:

1) It's made by Coors.

2) It's labeled as a Belgian Wit

If Sierra Nevada brewed the same beer and called it an American wheat, it would be accepted by most beer geeks as a decent if underwhelming summer session option.

Flame away.

I actually didn't know Blue Moon was owned by Coors the first time I had it (I wasn't especially beer educated at the time, but I'd try just about anything set in front of me). I didn't like it then, and I don't like it any more or less now. Take that as you will.

I actually didn't know Blue Moon was owned by Coors the first time I had it (I wasn't especially beer educated at the time, but I'd try just about anything set in front of me). I didn't like it then, and I don't like it any more or less now. Take that as you will.

Fair enough.

I don't mind Blue Moon. I like some of there other beers too. Their farmhouse red, however, is terrible. I think its in my top 3 of worst beers I've had.

1) It's made by Coors.

If Sierra Nevada brewed the same beer and called it an American wheat, it would be accepted by most beer geeks as a decent if underwhelming summer session option.

Flame away.
I said it was the BEST crappy beer! Agreed. If Sierra Nevada had brewed it, Blue Moon would not be on the list. I think it's an above average summer ale and have been known to drink one on occasion.
It's actually not a bad thing that a big brewery owns the rights to a good craft beer. They have the ability to market and distribute it everywhere. I travel a lot and have drank some fantastic beer brewed by small breweries that I wish I could buy at home. They simply don't have the means to do so.

Miller Highlife in glass bottles! Under $10 a twelve pack. More usually around. $7. And it tastes pretty good. I used to mow my grass around 9 months a year. Miller highlife is the most perfect lawn mower beer. Also good for an upset stomach. YMMV

1) It's made by Coors.

Flame away.

Blue Moon is one of those beers that has absolutely nothing off-putting about it, but nothing exciting about it either. I would never shy away from one, but wouldn't seek it out either. I've even been known to...looks around for beer snobs...put an orange in it. : )

Miller Highlife in glass bottles! Under $10 a twelve pack. More usually around. $7. And it tastes pretty good. I used to mow my grass around 9 months a year. Miller highlife is the most perfect lawn mower beer. Also good for an upset stomach. YMMV
I know some early 30 something hipsters and neo-hippies who when they want a break from PBR, stick a slice of lime in a bottle of High Life and call it Ghetto Corona. Of course, I think that is an insult to Miller. :mug:

1) It's made by Coors.

Flame away.

I 100% agree. I would enjoy it more if it was properly labeled. Lol. I sound so snobbish but it is a pet peeve of mine when American wheats get called hefeweizen or are called Belgian.

Whatever my brother hands me.

This thread is like a trip down memory lane for me. My first beer (bought by my sister who was 'of age') was Strohs. When we wanted to splurge (or impress the ladies) we'd get Moosehead, but mainly drank Milwaukee's Best in college, sometimes with Iron City Lite thrown in. In the Army it was whatever local beer was coldest and cheapest. Friends from up north ply me with Genesee Cream Ale and Yuengling has made major inroads in my area.

My in extremis go-to is now Budweiser. There - I said it: I drink Bud. It's perfect for when you can't decide whether you want water or beer.

I can't believe no one has said this, at least I can't find it on any of the thread pages.. Four Loko. For less than $4 you can get a very strong mellow buzz. True, it's technically not beer at all but it's a malt beverage and there's malt in beer so...whatever. Buy two of them and you can sip the night away and watch a couple good flicks on Netflix.

I don't mind Blue Moon. I like some of there other beers too. Their farmhouse red, however, is terrible. I think its in my top 3 of worst beers I've had.

Unless one of us is getting confused on that particular beer, I'm going to have to completely disagree with you. I remember a ton of malty sweetness in that one. If it's the same one, it's part of their summer pack. Then again, I may be thinking of their Saison so it could be me that's confused...:drunk:

I've really enjoyed reading this thread. I read an article about "beer snobs" the other day. I had the feeling that people were reading the article thinking that the term beer snob and beer lover are interchangible.

I can tell by most of the replies on here that most of us are "true beer lovers" and can appreciate "crappy beers" for what they are-BEER.

I enjoy most any beer for what it is, and use the term "crappy beer" affectionately.

An old friend always says "I like all beers. There are a few that I love more than others..." (I think I may add this to my signature!).

Miller High Life is always one of my favorite fall-backs.

I have absolutely no shame in drinking Blue Moon.

I drank the **** out of Blue Moon in college. Back then I didn't know much about beer, other than it'd get you drunk. I have nothing against Blue Moon; my tastes have just changed since then, so I don't drink it anymore.

PBR, regular budweiser, blue light... had a Hamms last night.. I dont discriminate a crappy beer. Although I cant' believe I used to drink such crap beer (one after another..) for so many years before I wised up. whenever I have to drink a bud light, I simply lament at the flavor and have to put it down. cant get past it.

MGD for me, always a good deal. Usually bars have them on special. Honestly, I wonder if Steel Reserve is still around. I used to buy 40s of that in college for like 2 bucks. It tasted god awful but it got the job done.

I bought that as a joke a couple of years ago. It's really not that bad... Fairly sugary actually. Micky's is one that I couldn't ever really drink... It has that vomit aftertaste that still gives me the chills thinking about.

Ortliebs!
Oh, oops the brewery closed up years ago.... But the name lives on as a bar in the original Philly neighborhood it seems.

This was our official beer back in the 70's. It was cheap, really cheap! Don't recall what it tasted like though! Must have been good cause we drank a lot of it.

Old English 800, that's my brand.....drink it in a bottle, 40, quart or a can.

Drink it like a mad man, yes I do...F%^& the police and a 502.

Seriously though...of the biggies....Tecate.

Miller high life all the way. Great for drinking games. I think I just got too sick too many times drinking PBR, bud light, rolling rock, natty ice...

Rainier, then PBR. Truth be told, while they are consumed infrequently (camping, gigs, et al), I'm never disappointed...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I 100% agree. I would enjoy it more if it was properly labeled. Lol. I sound so snobbish but it is a pet peeve of mine when American wheats get called hefeweizen or are called Belgian.

The label does say Belgian-style wheat ale. That's accurate. Belgian style.

I think brewers call their wheats hefe or wit or Belgian want to avoid people assuming it's a hop forward, gross American wheat.

My peeve is when people complain about how the Germans don't put an orange slice in their wheat beers. Um, blue moon is an American white/wheat, and for some reason the orange makes it perfect.

The label does say Belgian-style wheat ale. That's accurate. Belgian style.

I think brewers call their wheats hefe or wit or Belgian want to avoid people assuming it's a hop forward, gross American wheat.

My peeve is when people complain about how the Germans don't put an orange slice in their wheat beers. Um, blue moon is an American white/wheat, and for some reason the orange makes it perfect.

The only thing Belgian about it is the coriander and orange peels. Any beer lover worth his salt knows the trick to making a Belgian style beer is Belgian yeasts. A spiced winter warmer would no more be a Belgian dark strong style then blue moon is a Belgian style wheat. It is just an American wheat beer with orange peels. I would think that if you submitted a blue moon for judging under bjcp criteria it would do far better as an American wheat than a Belgian anything. /end rant

Rolling Rock used to be good but it changed. PBR all the way.

I used to regularly drink RR at my local dive bar. One day I walked in and got a bottle and quickly scrunched my face and said WTF??? I looked at the label and it had changed from Rolling Rock brewing co. Latrobe, PA to St. Louis, MO. Guess who.

That was around early 2000s or so. Don't remember exactly. I knew that Rolling Rock was going to be bought out by Anheiser-Busch but didn't expect it so quickly

The most shocking part is that I could immediately taste the difference. I guess the glass lined tanks of old Latrobe made a difference.

ON TOPIC: Miller Lite, Labatt's, Moosehead

I just skip beer if macros are all that's available. I didn't drink beer during my early years, so never developed a taste for the cheap and flavorless stuff.

Wow! I remember Carlings Black Label from way back, from when I was a kid and teenager. ( 60's & 70's ).

Didn't know they still made it. I haven't seen it here in Mich. for years.

Back in to 80s we'd scrape our change together and get a case of this. It was something like $4.50 a case. Ahh, the hangovers.

Ortliebs!

Oh, oops the brewery closed up years ago.... But the name lives on as a bar in the original Philly neighborhood it seems.

This was our official beer back in the 70's. It was cheap, really cheap! Don't recall what it tasted like though! Must have been good cause we drank a lot of it.

The WET beer!

Miller high life all the way. Great for drinking games. I think I just got too sick too many times drinking PBR, bud light, rolling rock, natty ice...

Every time I drink high life I feel like I should drive a car with t tops, have a pack of Marlboro reds rolled up in my white t shirts sleeve and beat my wife.... I mean I'm just sayin

Back