What does "good beer" mean?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I'm typing and thinking about it... maybe that's the question... can you have a beautifully made beer that is "bad"?

I think I would argue "no". If it is made perfectly, then I would argue that "your" personal taste in not liking it doesn't matter. You can certainly not like it... nothing wrong with that... but i don't think that in itself makes it "bad"

Then the only criteria we can use to determine if a beer is good or bad is if you can drink it without getting sick/killing you. Anything after that comes down to personal taste or other bias caused by the situation.

The old saying "hunger is the best spice" applies. Everything tastes good when you are starving. Since we have an abundance of subjectively "good" beer in the market it's tough to pick out a beer that's objectively "good". There's a lot of stouts on the market that are, to me, too ashy and roasty, but others might find that good and tasty, I can only say that those aren't good because to my palate they have too much roast.

As I'm typing and thinking about it... maybe that's the question... can you have a beautifully made beer that is "bad"?

I think I would argue "no". If it is made perfectly, then I would argue that "your" personal taste in not liking it doesn't matter. You can certainly not like it... nothing wrong with that... but i don't think that in itself makes it "bad"

What the hell is a 'beautifully made beer'?

My problem is that I'm always looking for a masterpiece for that style. I made an ESB that was technically perfectly according to style. I love it. Every commercial ESB I've tried (granted they are just the very commercial ones imported here), I would never buy another one.

There are many beers that I've tasted that were good, but they weren't outstanding, so I find myself not going back to them.

Or as another example, I'm always trying to find a way to like a certain style. I don't like saisons, yet I always try every saison my wife buys (she loves them), because I'm waiting for the one to convince me to like it. Same with IPAs. I've found one commercial IPA that I've liked, and even that one is just an average good beer for me. Oddly enough it's made by the most commercial brewery in this nation, Hansa. Every other IPA I've tried I've been disappointed with.

Then of course, there's the public's favorite type of competitions. Recently was at the "championship" version of that here in Norway (the winner got to brew with one of the bigger breweries here, Haandbryggeriet), and we were each given 3 plastic chips to drop in the buckets of the beers we liked. I happened to find two on the floor, so I got 5 votes. I tried every single beer in that place (over 100 beers, yeah a lot of people were drunk, and there was also a ton of beer poured out into buckets), and ended up going home with three chips still in my pocket. One I voted for because it was an Eisbock, and I've really been interested in attempting that style, but I honestly have no idea how it compares to others. The other vote was a guy who brought a Belgian trappist style that he had stored away for the last 6 years (he ended up winning). I only voted for him because if I had been storing a beer for that long, there's no way I'm bringing it to such a subjective competition. Oddly enough he won, and I truly believe it's only because of it being advertised so heavily as a 6-year old beer, and his guys who were helping at the stand were incredible salesmen. He himself was pretty shy and didn't talk with everyone that came by. Otherwise, it was even a really good version of the style. My wife loves Chimay, and even she stated how average his beer was. Other than those two, I found flaws in every single beer, or they were styles that I don't like, or both.

Point being, there's so many factors into what good is, as others have said, I don't think one could really ever come to a conclusion about it. It's too highly subjective.

What I will say, which actually just struck me as rather odd, the only "crappy" style I'll drink are the cheap macro lagers/pilsners. It's that whole thing about the no flaws thing. It's light, crisp, no overwhelming flavors. It can go with almost every occasion. I'm one of those that strongly dislikes the macros, but I'll still drink them, even though I won't buy them.

I think personal taste is too broad of a spectrum. good to me might not be good to the next person. just like all the folks that think BL is good beer and McD's is good food is quite contrary to what I think of good beer and food.

I think personal taste is too broad of a spectrum. good to me might not be good to the next person. just like all the folks that think BL is good beer and McD's is good food is quite contrary to what I think of good beer and food.

Earth shattering stuff here, Billy. You should write a book.

I makes a good beer, is the answer we should have all typed, but haven't.

You're all goofs.

A good beer is when you'll have a second one.
I agree. One of my finest compliments was when I took some bottles of Cream of Three Crops to Thanksgiving dinner and offered one to a guest. He said he didn't like "fancy" beers, mostly just Bud Light, but accepted it anyway. Later when the host asked if he was ready for another beer he said "Yea, give me another of those home brews, those are good!"

I disagree... Only because of the example i was giving before. I'll give another one. I recently was given a "Bob Marleywine" to taste. It was a big barleywine "spiced" with exactly what the name would suggest.

It was a really "good beer" in my view... meaning I knew what he was trying to accomplish.. the beer was nice and clean, no technical issues at all. The "spice" was subtle on the finish... didn't smash you in the face.

That's sure as hell not up to any style guideline I've ever seen and, personally, that's not a flavor I like in a beer...but i told him it was a beautifully made beer, even though I wasn't a big fan... because I believed it was.

Yes, you've just redescribed your problem.

Different people have vastly different perspectives.

So while you're able to distinguish and compartmentalize different aspects of a beer, a BL drinker might just say "that's nasty" and move on. Even tho the same beer might not have any "technical flaws".

Also, that beer does sound nasty....

Good = Subjective, therefore impossible to define "Good Beer".

I'm sure this has been said already on the thread, but all well.

What one person loves, another hates and vice versa. Good is all in the eyes of the beerholder.

Tac

Some of my favorite beers were not beers I cared for the first time I tried them. I look at my children. Sometimes they try a food and don't like it. I ask they try a few times before they stop eating it entirely. My parents didn't do this and I missed out on some great foods.
Taste is often developed. How many people do you know that liked whiskey the first time they tried it. How many could appreciate the subtleties?

I think we can divide good beer into categories. The first would be beer that most people like the first time they try it, and would continue to drink. It has a quality that appeals to most palates.
The second would be a beer that has no obvious flaws that may not appeal to the masses, but is a strong representation of a particular style, or has a style all its own.
There are plenty of things that I don't care for. Many are simply because I have not developed a palate for those particular things, and don't care to. It doesn't mean they can't be enjoyed by others or considered great representations of their drink, food, etc.

If there is a way to have most people look at a beer subjectively under some sort of criteria... I think it would be a big benefit.

Great thread by the way!

I do believe there is. Many people have thought I'm a loon for the point I'm about to make but hear me out.

I think we go about everything backwards when we consider matters of taste. We try to setup conceptual criteria to classify an experience, e.g., bjcp judging and beer and then stamp them on the experience. What I think we should do instead is deem those things, beers, good that defy our ability to classify them on the level of thought but are still highly pleasing. That way we recognize thought has reached its limit through our experience of the beer. If those highly familiar with beer cannot conceptually articulate what is going on when they drink a beer but are pleased nonetheless, it is a good beer.

We are familiar with this sort of idea already. We often say "Ah! There is nothing like this beer!" by which we mean this beer is very good.[/QUOTE]

Not sure I totally agree. Is that how movie or literary critics work? I am not sure. They don't use predefined "criteria", do they?, But they seem to be able to talk about how the artifact - the movie or the novel or poem -affects them. How its elements in the artifact work together (or not). If brewers or beer drinkers cannot articulate how a particular beer "works" - what its elements are and how they provide for the experience that the beer drinker has then I am not sure that the problem is with the nature of the world itself (your point) but the ability of the one doing the reporting...Now I think the problem with those doing the reporting is that the BJCP presents itself as the very heart and soul of the nature of any beer but those guidelines strike me (a contrarian) much like the way that genre in movies or literature or music are defined. Defining a movie as a horror or a thriller and then looking at particular examples of horror movies or thrillers in light of what makes the movie under review a thriller or a horror movie tells me not a thing about why I am enjoying the movie or being bored out my gourd or why I might enjoy the movie or why I can expect to doze off..

Great thread by the way!

I do believe there is.

Not sure I totally agree. Is that how movie or literary critics work? I am not sure. They don't use predefined "criteria", do they?, But they seem to be able to talk about how the artifact - the movie or the novel or poem -affects them. How its elements in the artifact work together (or not). If brewers or beer drinkers cannot articulate how a particular beer "works" - what its elements are and how they provide for the experience that the beer drinker has then I am not sure that the problem is with the nature of the world itself (your point) but the ability of the one doing the reporting...Now I think the problem with those doing the reporting is that the BJCP presents itself as the very heart and soul of the nature of any beer but those guidelines strike me (a contrarian) much like the way that genre in movies or literature or music are defined. Defining a movie as a horror or a thriller and then looking at particular examples of horror movies or thrillers in light of what makes the movie under review a thriller or a horror movie tells me not a thing about why I am enjoying the movie or being bored out my gourd or why I might enjoy the movie or why I can expect to doze off..

I would argue that it's not helpful to anyone setting up objective measures to "rate" beer. Based off our physiology we may perceive, taste, experience things differently. Mandating that a beer must have certain qualities in order to be deemed as "good", will stifle the creative aspects of brewing and the craft beer movement, which we are a part of. Reinheitsgebot anyone?

Great thread by the way!

I do believe there is. Many people have thought I'm a loon for the point I'm about to make but hear me out.

I think we go about everything backwards when we consider matters of taste. We try to setup conceptual criteria to classify an experience, e.g., bjcp judging and beer and then stamp them on the experience. What I think we should do instead is deem those things, beers, good that defy our ability to classify them on the level of thought but are still highly pleasing. That way we recognize thought has reached its limit through our experience of the beer. If those highly familiar with beer cannot conceptually articulate what is going on when they drink a beer but are pleased nonetheless, it is a good beer.

We are familiar with this sort of idea already. We often say "Ah! There is nothing like this beer!" by which we mean this beer is very good.

Not sure I totally agree. Is that how movie or literary critics work? I am not sure. They don't use predefined "criteria", do they?, But they seem to be able to talk about how the artifact - the movie or the novel or poem -affects them. How its elements in the artifact work together (or not). If brewers or beer drinkers cannot articulate how a particular beer "works" - what its elements are and how they provide for the experience that the beer drinker has then I am not sure that the problem is with the nature of the world itself (your point) but the ability of the one doing the reporting...Now I think the problem with those doing the reporting is that the BJCP presents itself as the very heart and soul of the nature of any beer but those guidelines strike me (a contrarian) much like the way that genre in movies or literature or music are defined. Defining a movie as a horror or a thriller and then looking at particular examples of horror movies or thrillers in light of what makes the movie under review a thriller or a horror movie tells me not a thing about why I am enjoying the movie or being bored out my gourd or why I might enjoy the movie or why I can expect to doze off..[/QUOTE]

I actually agree with some of what you are saying here. It is true the problem is with us doing the reporting, not the world beyond us, because we do not know what good beer is on a conceptual level. Exhibit A is this thread. Yet, it is great that we do try to define it. It is part of the experience of what we call good.

Another point...note the distrust many have of thise who claim to be able to define good beer. There is something disingenous about it, isn't there? We do intuitively understand that they are making themselves authorities about something the human mind cannot truly define.

I actually agree with some of what you are saying here. It is true the problem is with us doing the reporting, not the world beyond us, because we do not know what good beer is on a conceptual level. Exhibit A is this thread. Yet, it is great that we do try to define it. It is part of the experience of what we call good.

Another point...note the distrust many have of those who claim to be able to define good beer. There is something disingenous about it, isn't there? We do intuitively understand that they are making themselves authorities about something the human mind cannot truly define.[/QUOTE]

I would argue that it's not helpful to anyone setting up objective measures to "rate" beer. Based off our physiology we may perceive, taste, experience things differently. Mandating that a beer must have certain qualities in order to be deemed as "good", will stifle the creative aspects of brewing and the craft beer movement, which we are a part of. Reinheitsgebot anyone?

I agree with this. Someone mentioned even BJCP competitions being quite subjective in nature because the judges will get kind of a composite score. I don't believe it's because of their bias of style at all. It's because there are some flavors in beer that we are just not wired to be able to taste.

I had a beer early on that really had that "bubble gum" type of ester flavor in it. My wife, my brew partner, our friends all could not taste it. It was most definitely present for me. Then we tried Tank 7. Boom. Bubble gum, banana, clove bomb for me. My wife absolutely loves it. I couldn't possibly drink an entire glass of it unless somebody dared me to.

So it's not just about style preference, necessarily. It's about scientific preference. How can we then begin to call something bad just because we are sensitive to that particular compound?

But I have to ask, Cape, is that the whole point of the thread? I understand you've asked many questions along the way, and it does kinda seem like you want to pinpoint a way to call something good in a more objective manner.

But, I also see your point about how these ratings and reviews are really doing injustices to the craft beer world. Not everyone likes DIPAs or RISes, yet RateBeer pretty much lends only those styles in their top 50. Same with Beer Advocate and untappd.

What happens if you don't like those, yet you're being told be the beer ratings community that those are the top?

I have a friend that brings top beers to the house from those lists, and tells me they are great beers. I find many are not my cup of tea. I think he only likes them because he is supposed to, they are after all the top beers in the country. I prefer to try flights wherever I go and make that determination myself. Course, I'm not hip because I don't blog about it.
Lemmings on the precipice of the craft beer cliff.

I think there two main points...
1) what does it all currently mean and
2) is there a way we can all, collectively, do a better job of it.

I think of we can do a better job of it, it would help craft beer overall... both home and commercial.

In one way, I think is a fair amount of value in the way things are now. I think "ratings" currently mean nothing more than a bunch of people voted for it. But, I guess there is value is just knowing that.

On the flip side, in a perfect world, it would be great if style bias could be eliminated to a great extent and folks could appreciate beers on the beers merit opposed to their personal preference because... Given how much of the general market still doesn't drink craft beer (about 85%), I think "ratings" could be amazing guide posts for those folks.

If you're a BMC drinker now, just happened to try a Hill Farmstead IPA.., chances are you're not going to like it because that's going to be so incredibly different from what you're used to. You could then say, "well shti... That's supposed to be the best craft beer in the world... So... Craft beer sucks" And go right back to BMC.

If we had a better way of showing... "No, it's not just Hill Farmstead IPA... It's XYZ Brewing's Dunkel, it's Something Brewing's Baltic Porter, it's Brewery ABC's Pils"... That lays out craft beer as a whole dramatically better. It also provides, I think, much more incentive for breweries to push boundaries in areas other than IPAs and the occasional stout and saison.

I think it more than just style bias though... As i have been mentioning, i think it would be dramatically better if there was some sort of standard method to ratings and I DON'T mean guidelines. I still like "brewer's intent".

I don't think it would be that hard for the public, especially current beer nerds, to understand what the brewer was trying to do and judge it accordingly.

Maybe make two "ratings".... 1) did the brewer pull off what they were trying yo do and 2) did I personally like it.

I had a guy in my old brew club... hated sours... we poured him a small sample of Cantillon Classic and he almost gagged and spit it out. He certainly didn't seem to want another one.

I would definitely argue that Cantillon hadn't failed (not that we're "arguing" by any stretch)

I know we're not arguing, but that is completely illogical. The risk was serving something he didn't like. Good for you on getting him to try it (getting people to try new beer is one of the best parts of brewing), but he was predisposed to not like it. Your OP was about giving the beer context to it's presentation. I'm not a fan of liver, but for those that like it, they can tell the nuance to how well its cooked. My rejection of it isn't due to quality but my gag reflex.

My point was made with the understanding that when someone asks for a beer, that it is of a style they already like. Much like your OP, where the brewer plainly stated it was hoppy and the reviewer failed to take that into consideration. OTOH, if the beer was made as a classic example and the reviewer didn't like it for the same reasons (too hoppy), then the brewer failed.

But a brewer could modify their stated 'intent' after the beer is actually brewed, similar to how a homebrewer could submit a 'bad' IPA (original intent) into the BJCP American Amber category (actual outcome) and have it be judged as a 'good' beer.

That is an exact illustration of what "good" isn't.

If I'm bowling in lane 7, throw and get a strike in lane 8, that isn't "good."

I know we're not arguing, but that is completely illogical. The risk was serving something he didn't like. Good for you on getting him to try it (getting people to try new beer is one of the best parts of brewing), but he was predisposed to not like it. Your OP was about giving the beer context to it's presentation. I'm not a fan of liver, but for those that like it, they can tell the nuance to how well its cooked. My rejection of it isn't due to quality but my gag reflex.

My point was made with the understanding that when someone asks for a beer, that it is of a style they already like. Much like your OP, where the brewer plainly stated it was hoppy and the reviewer failed to take that into consideration. OTOH, if the beer was made as a classic example and the reviewer didn't like it for the same reasons (too hoppy), then the brewer failed.

I'm not sure we're disagreeing... I think we're just getting tripped up in the wording.

That is an exact illustration of what "good" isn't.

If I'm bowling in lane 7, throw and get a strike in lane 8, that isn't "good."

You joking? I would be twice as happy to manage to get a strike in the lane next to me. Way to go me

I'm not sure we're disagreeing... I think we're just getting tripped up in the wording.

I think we agree at the core of it. I hope I'm not splitting hairs, from your perspective. I took issue with your context, not your example. Getting someone to try new beer styles is great. Getting someone to try a style they don't like is even better, but in that context it's a situational failure not a brewer failure when they reject it.

Two decades ago, I had a customer come in and order a Pilsner that had American Hops in it. It was otherwise brewed as a German Pilsner, but the customer said, "That's not anything I recognize as a Pilsner" and didn't want to finish his glass. THAT's a brewer failure and a beer that wouldn't be considered "good" in my opinion, even though I made that beer.

I'm just drawing a line that says "good" is determined by the brewer, even though it's judged by the drinker. I consider everything I've done to make "good" beer successful when people who like that style say, "I'll have another."

I like the comparison to art in the OP. On a similar note, I'm reminded of a famously controversial article by 20th Century composer Milton Babbitt, "It Doesn't Matter If You Listen." That sounds like the Roasted Squash IPA example - the brewer (composer) executed exactly what was wanted, and that is the art that was displayed. You can like it, or consume (heh) another art that is more to your taste.

I used to hate Stravinsky. He confused the hells outta me. So did Saisons. Now that I've studied and listened more, I can get into Rite of Spring and a few other major works, and I like DuPont as well. Not just because they're well received examples of the styles (Primitivism/Modernism and Saisons) but because they also achieved what their composers set out to do. And yeah, I do see brewing as a form of composition. Composers are at the mercy of their executing musicians, just as brewers are at the mercy of their ingredients. But fortunately with good quality checks in place for both, the chances of failure should be minimal.

How did this make it to 11 pages?

What's "good" music? Is Bach better than Nicki Minaj? Who's sold more records? Who's won more Grammy's? Who gets more airplay on the radio? Who would most people rather listen to? Does that make her "better?"

What's "good" food? Who sells more burgers, McDonald's or Five Guys? Which is the bigger company? Which has more restaurants? Which would a 5-year old rather have: a loaded Five Guys burger or a box of Chicken McNuggets?

What's a "good" movie? The Matrix won more Oscars than Brokeback Mountain, does that mean it was a better movie? The Sound of Music is the highest-grossing film of all time (adjusted for inflation), but would you rather see it or Star Wars: The Force Awakens? Which has better ratings? (Answer: Star Wars; 92% vs. 85% on Rotten Tomatoes).

It's all so pointless without an agreed-upon set of judging criteria. With beer, that's the BJCP Style Guidelines. If we can't agree on that, then we're all just banging our heads against the wall. We'll never get anywhere, because everything else is totally subjective.

I think we agree at the core of it. I hope I'm not splitting hairs, from your perspective. I took issue with your context, not your example. Getting someone to try new beer styles is great. Getting someone to try a style they don't like is even better, but in that context it's a situational failure not a brewer failure when they reject it.

totally agree. That's why I said that wouldn't be Cantillon's failure

Two decades ago, I had a customer come in and order a Pilsner that had American Hops in it. It was otherwise brewed as a German Pilsner, but the customer said, "That's not anything I recognize as a Pilsner" and didn't want to finish his glass. THAT's a brewer failure and a beer that wouldn't be considered "good" in my opinion, even though I made that beer.

Agreed to a large extent... the brewer needs to make it clear what their intention is and set the consumer's expectation. IF the beer is simply presented as a Pils and it was brewed with a hop bill that would make it something other than what it was presented as... then yeah, that's the brewer's fault. But in that example... and now it gets kinda corny.... but maybe that's the point... if the brewer didn't set expectations then the beer is "bad" but if the brewer said, "this is a traditional Pils with american hops and it should have this nuance to it"... then that's a different story.

I'm just drawing a line that says "good" is determined by the brewer, even though it's judged by the drinker. I consider everything I've done to make "good" beer successful when people who like that style say, "I'll have another."

I don' think I ever suggested that and if I did... it wasn't intentional.

Back