A Controversial Question: What is the best crappy beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My votes are definitely for Lonestar and then Yuengling. Now if we wanna go really cheap, how about 40's? I haven't had one in a while but Olde English and Hurricane used to be my two brands of choice.

-Jeff

My votes are definitely for Lonestar and then Yuengling. Now if we wanna go really cheap, how about 40's? I haven't had one in a while but Olde English and Hurricane used to be my two brands of choice.

-Jeff

Personally I wouldn't put Yuengling in the crappy beer department. I'm not saying it's exceptional but imo it's far from crap. When I think crappy beers I think the last 2 you mentioned, Milwaukee's Best, Natural Light/Ice, Steel Reserve, etc.

I know alot of people dont like them, but bluemoon is pretty good. they make quite a few different varieties and some are actually really good.

bud black crown was surprisingly good, for a mass produced lager.

Personally I wouldn't put Yuengling in the crappy beer department. I'm not saying it's exceptional but imo it's far from crap. When I think crappy beers I think the last 2 you mentioned, Milwaukee's Best, Natural Light/Ice, Steel Reserve, etc.

True. I guess I meant cheap, not crappy, but I saw some other people mention it so added it. I love the stuff but can't get it down here in Texas.

-Jeff

We're lucky here in MN that Schell's and Summit are nice and cheap but if I've got to go uber cheap I'd go Glueks. About $10 for a 30 pack. When I was back in PA my favorite crappy beer was definitely Straub.

Really though, now that I'm doing all grain brewing my homebrew comes out pretty damn close in price to Glueks so I'd probably just go for cost saving measures on my homebrew like yeast washing and lower gravity beer.

For me?

Natty Boh.

I'm a Baltimore boy though...so, I kind of grew up on that stuff. I'll drink Boh over any Bud Light, Budweiser, Miller, and so on.

PBR, a lot of places around where I am may not have good taps, or good bottles/cans of craft stuff. Or myself and SWMBO will go to a bar one of her exboyfriends work at (he's a cool ass guy and I get along with him, and he just moved in with his boyfriend, into a place with 3 built in taps in the basement... them bastards), but they usually dont have good taps at their tiki bar so I just order 16 oz cans of PBR, and honestly, PBR isn't that bad, I wouldn't drink it if say, they had cans of Old Chub at the tiki bar, but then, I'd also probably black out at the bar really quick.

Otherwise, Michelob Golden Light. In my defense I moved about 4 hours from home for a full time job and met SWMBO as we were both starting at the company at the same time. SWMBO's extended family almost exclusively drink Michelob, growing up on Miller Lite (my family is Miller Lite almost exclusively) I do like Michelob better than miller.

Edit: Aka Any SWMBO family function I go to there is a beer trailer with Michelob in it. And SWMBO's mother told me, any family function *WILL* have an open bar (beer/wine).

Eventually though when I ask SWMBO to marry me (she said theres a time limit of 8 years so, I told her to expect a proposal at 7 year 11 months and 29 days) I'll brew all the beer for the wedding reception so both families will have to drink craft (homebrew) beer. For their sake I will brew a light lager and a cream ale, and a blue moon clone so they're not chaffing while having to drink a dunkelweizen or a belgian tripel.

Defining "crap" as "cheap", I searched for the 6-pack I would buy under $6 at Total Wine & More in Atlanta.

Guinness Extra Stout
6pk-12oz Btls
$5.99

Most of the options listed above are $5.49 to $5.99 a 6 pack, most at $5.99.
For $5.49 I'd go with Rolling Rock, but if I'm paying $5.99 for crap, I'll define crap as Guinness.

Modelo Especial is crap and it's my guilty pleasure summer beer....with a lime and by the pool it's sublime. I'll also turn to Miller Lite when it's on special at the local bar if I don't want to pay for craft.

PBR, a lot of places around where I am may not have good taps, or good bottles/cans of craft stuff. Or myself and SWMBO will go to a bar one of her exboyfriends work at (he's a cool ass guy and I get along with him, and he just moved in with his boyfriend, into a place with 3 built in taps in the basement... them bastards), but they usually dont have good taps at their tiki bar so I just order 16 oz cans of PBR, and honestly, PBR isn't that bad, I wouldn't drink it if say, they had cans of Old Chub at the tiki bar, but then, I'd also probably black out at the bar really quick.

Otherwise, Michelob Golden Light. In my defense I moved about 4 hours from home for a full time job and met SWMBO as we were both starting at the company at the same time. SWMBO's extended family almost exclusively drink Michelob, growing up on Miller Lite (my family is Miller Lite almost exclusively) I do like Michelob better than miller.

Edit: Aka Any SWMBO family function I go to there is a beer trailer with Michelob in it. And SWMBO's mother told me, any family function *WILL* have an open bar (beer/wine).

Eventually though when I ask SWMBO to marry me (she said theres a time limit of 8 years so, I told her to expect a proposal at 7 year 11 months and 29 days) I'll brew all the beer for the wedding reception so both families will have to drink craft (homebrew) beer. For their sake I will brew a light lager and a cream ale, and a blue moon clone so they're not chaffing while having to drink a dunkelweizen or a belgian tripel.

You must be from the midwest :)

Sent from myPhone

Wow! I remember Carlings Black Label from way back, from when I was a kid and teenager. ( 60's & 70's ).

Didn't know they still made it. I haven't seen it here in Mich. for years.

I've only ever seen it at one store in my area (South Jersey) and they used to have a helluva "cheap" beer aisle. Next time I go I'll snap a pic.

I've only ever seen it at one store in my area (South Jersey) and they used to have a helluva "cheap" beer aisle. Next time I go I'll snap a pic.

Yeah! a pic would be cool, I'd like to see that.

I still see Hamms beer in the cheap aisle where I shop. It's like $12.00 for a 30 pack. I tried it once and about gagged!

Hamms is at every corner store in the nw, Its usually 20 cents cheaper than pbr, but tastes like rusty metal and hangovers.

For cheap crappy beer Stroh's is one of my old favorites. Molson a close second and if the budget was really tight.... Colt45............works EVERY TIME!

Stag

It used to be brewed in Belleville, IL, but is now brewed by Pabst. I'm pretty sure you have to be from the Midwest to have even heard of it.

I saw somewhere that Schlitz had won best Amercian lager in some contest. Had some & it was pretty good.

Used to drink the Genny in college in 2011. I thought it was slightly better than the rest and for $13/30pack.

I know a lot of people put Yuengling into the group with the rest of these beers because its a macrobrew, so that would be my choice.
In my limited experience, Yuengling is a less tasty and cheaper version of Sam Adams. How you think it compare to the Mexican Vienna style lagers?

In my limited experience, Yuengling is a less tasty and cheaper version of Sam Adams. How you think it compare to the Mexican Vienna style lagers?

Yuengling has a fruitier taste than the Mexican Vienna lagers do, and isn't especially hoppy.

MGD for me, always a good deal. Usually bars have them on special. Honestly, I wonder if Steel Reserve is still around. I used to buy 40s of that in college for like 2 bucks. It tasted god awful but it got the job done.

MGD for me, always a good deal. Usually bars have them on special. Honestly, I wonder if Steel Reserve is still around. I used to buy 40s of that in college for like 2 bucks. It tasted god awful but it got the job done.

It's around and kicking. Believe you me, sir. Love that shiz

Sent from myPhone

PBR, Michelob (regular Mich, not lite or ultra), Michelob Amber Bock or Blue Moon - depends on what is available. However, most places around here, be it a hole in the wall bar or a tiny gas station with extremely limited selection, will have Boulevard Wheat, which is probably my favorite American Wheat.

PBR, Natty, Keystone, Bud Light, Budweiser, Miller Lite, Coors Light, Rolling Rock, Milwaukee's Best, et cetera.

forget the list above. :fro:

my goto cheap beer store beer is Bowen. It's always the cheapest at the store, and tastes like homebrew. Likely only available in BC though. Sorry - suck back a Miller.

beer2.png

The best crappy beer has to be Blue Moon since it's owned by Coors. I'm still baffled how they they get the horses to piss in the cans.

I guess I have never compared Yuengling to anything other than BMC, but the Sam Adams comparison is pretty much accurate. I dont really ever drink Mexican lagers though, so I cant compare to that.

The best crappy beer has to be Blue Moon since it's owned by Coors. I'm still baffled how they they get the horses to piss in the cans.

The trick is to have someone water hose the pee into their mouth, then spit it into the can.

(I happened to like a 16oz can of Blue Moon on a hot day, I also like my homebrew version better but, thats besides the point)

Back