90% sure I killed my yeast cake will that affect yeast added?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbobhat

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
High temp pitched probably around 130 or less. I was doing a barley wine and ended up with a little less gravity points ~1.080. So I pitched on the yeast cake (my damn pipes were frozen from winter so I didn't use my wort chiller but realized later that I could've used the laundry spigot in garage, doh!).

Immediately put in a water bucket in garage with cold water (probably killed further by shocking?!?)

In the morning I took back to room temp, opened it up and gave it another shake all the while being sanitary (I hope). Also swirled the whole day yesterday periodically.

I'm pretty sure they're all dead. I'm gonna pitch some dry yeast packs when I get some tonight.

So I'm gonna get home tonight and check the brew. That would be no activity in over 36 hours, or 30 hrs since the temperature was in range.

Should I get them off of the yeast now and transfer, or wait until I get some fermentation started and then transfer? Only reason I say this is that the yeast cake is 3 weeks old, and most likely gunking up my carboy. Will that dead yeast affect fermentation?

Yeast start to die at around 140F, but at 130 F, you definitely jacked them up, and likely killed some and debilitated the rest.

The dead yeast won't affect the final beer as long as you aren't aging this on the yeast cake long term. The yeast go through several generations during any given active fermentation, so a good bit of the yeast cake is always dead yeast cells, and it's pretty well documented that autolysis from dead yeast isn't a concern in homebrew-sized batches.

Just repitch yeast and you'll be fine. If you are worried about it, just rack to secondary after 10-14 days and you avoid that factor altogether.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info and support. After a three hour boil my helper decided to bail and then I forget to put my thinking cap on. A decision I won't make again!

Back