8$ wheat bush beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll admit I was highly skeptical at first, but as this thread continues I must say I'm becoming slightly more intrigued. Initially I thought this was either a joke or some high school kid (the idea, the grammar, the username, the signature line, etc.), but the language the OP continues to use in his posts indicate he clearly does have knowledge about the process.

I doubt I'll ever be so intrigued as to actually make this, but I do want to see where this goes. And yes, please, post some pics.

I cannot imagine that wheat bran, tea, and that much table sugar fermented with Baker's yeast would taste anything like beer.

He didn't say it was beer, he said it was Bush beer.

I would bet if you invert the table sugar it will produce a cleaner end product. I use invert sugar in a lot of my high temp mashes and it works well.

Ill try it with ale yeast next weekend. I have to bartend a wedding this weekend.

underground and under the influence

This is a cheap beer.
Ive had great success with this as a begining brewer.

Boil 1 1/2 gal water and add;
Half box/bag unprocessed wheat bran
Malted milk
3lb sugar
One box tension tamer teabags by celeste company
Boil for 30 mins
Pour into primary with
2 1/2 gals roon temp water inside
Add 2 pkts...
BAKERS YEAST
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
set for ten minutes then stir

Ferment at 60-66 degrees F

This beer clears up well. And tastes amazing for the price and low time
DONT JUDGE ME!!!
BAKERS YEAST IS PEOPLE TOO!!

Did you ferment this in your toilet bowl? Don't hate...I make jokes :ban:

HolyGrail029.jpg

Burn her anyways!

and I salute you

Actually I'm over here as a civillian now. I separated the AF last june after they denied my retraining back to my first AFSC as a comm guy. So I decided to get out and do comm on that outside. So here I am as a contractor over here now. ****ty place, but the pay is good. :)

HoosierDaddyBrew said:
Did you ferment this in your toilet bowl? Don't hate...I make jokes :ban:

That fermentation space is currently in use. Got an award winning trippel in there.

I like the spirit behind this. Experimenting with out of the ordinary ingredients often leads to neat stuff. I'm to darn new to home brewing to really know much about what would make this good or bad really but based on my extensive reading and limited experience I don't think I'll try this exact recipe. I may however have to try something in a similar spirit, something made on the cheap, a BMC price tag with an actual beer taste.

I am going to brew this concoction up this weekend. Subbing a few items. Is anyone else not really interested to see how it turns out?

I am going to brew this concoction up this weekend. Subbing a few items. Is anyone else not really interested to see how it turns out?

Do it and post pics, I think more than a few here will admit they're interested in gutter beer. :rockin:

Tried another batch the other day. Sub honey for cane sugar and a pound less. I also used ale yeast. We will see

2011-09-09 07.57.46.jpg

Finished fast. About. 1 1/2 weeks. And i settle it for a month. You can drink it right away tho. Just get it ice cold. Same rules as with an cheap beer. Never have warm

2brew1cup said:
Tried another batch the other day. Sub honey for cane sugar and a pound less. I also used ale yeast. We will see

Yeah I was thinking that using a combination of honey and brown sugar might be better than cane sugar. Very interesting recipe. As some have said this would be liquid gold if we were ever to have nuclear fallout lol.

Can anyone tell me where to look for the malted milk in ther store? I looked in the
"Baking needs" section and it wasn't there. Saaz hops looks like a good choice.
I will be using Hallertauer hops and Nottingham yeast when I get around to it.

kgrant,

Thanks a heck of a lot! I will look there this evening or weekend! I hope to
do this in a few days! Is anyone having the same thoughts as I am how this
method could lend itself to steeping grains or adding crystal malt during the
boil? Lots of possibilities IMHO.

Its a pot. In a pot. Tricked my mind.

Haha, oh yeah! Look at that, I barely noticed the first time around.

Nice pics, kgrant. That's an interesting colored wort. Looks almost like lemonade. :mug:

Interesting. Do you have pics of the finished product ?

The only thing I'm worried about is the lack of real hops. I know that the tea you are using has hops in it, but for preservation/taste I'd prefer to have some real hops in there. But as you said, it's meant to be drank young.

You should try biab sometimes. You just buy a sack of milled 2-row, mash that with the bran, boil it with hops and ferment with a 2$ pack of Notty. It would pretty much come out at the same price and wouldn't be all that more technically challenging.

I got a pretty good laugh at all the snobby receptionists that segway to actual interest. A good brewer gets the most out of his ingredients with technique. Seems a lot of people let the ingredients they buy get the most of them :D

And lets see some pics!

I got a pretty good laugh at all the snobby receptionists that segway to actual interest.

Me too, but I think for now it's people probably giving the OP the benefit of the doubt. I wonder how many people would actually try this. Maybe in case of zombiepocalypse this would come in handy. Have some baker's yeast at home right now, but we plan to make pizza dough with it tonight :ban:

To the OP, is there a local brewshop in your hometown?

Nope. Im not in providence, RI. Its just a reference. I order my yeast off line when i do by it. The lack of a LHBS led to things like this. This is a minimal recipe. I have made it differebt ways. Steeping oats. With pearled barley. EVEN USING MALTED OVALTINE. What can i say. When i got into brewing before i had the supplies i needed. But that couldnt halt my desire to explore. Im sure anyone can understand.

You make the beer..
The beer doesnt make you!

Back