8 days and still bubbling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It could be. What yeast and what temperature. Low temperature will make it take longer.
62.gif
49.gif

It could be. What yeast and what temperature. Low temperature will make it take longer.
62.gif
49.gif

is it all at strange that is going on 3 weeks and still bubbling?

it's Wyeast 2112, and the temp now is mid 60s, right within the suggestion from them...

thanks! hope you're right :)
I've moved it to a slightly cooler place now. its still bubbling away, about every :10 or so. should I take a reading tomorrow? or is it likely that its still fermenting? tomorrow will be 3 weeks in carboy, but fermentation actually started showing signs 3 days in.

thanks

Oops, backwards move. You want to start the ferment cool as that is when the activity of the yeast wants to make the beer warmer and where the warm ferment allows them to make off flavors. Now that period is over and you want to warm the beer to encourage the yeast to finish up, not put them into a coma. http://www.brewgeeks.com/the-life-cycle-of-yeast.html

^ what he said.

With all that foam and krausen, that beer has a while to go.

I wonder, did you pitch a single yeast pack, without making a starter? That can explain the slow fermentation to some extend. So putting it in a little warmer place (~70°F) will help to finish it up, without going dormant before done. There's little point in taking a gravity sample now, wait until the fermentation has completed, usually when bubbling stops, the krausen has fallen and the beer starts to clear a bit. I expect another week.

Thanks guys. I did use a single smack pack without starter. Wednesday will mark 3 weeks that the activity started. I fear this batch is botched. Should it take this long to ferment? I've moved it to a warmer spot now. Thanks

Thanks guys. I did use a single smack pack without starter. Wednesday will mark 3 weeks that the activity started. I fear this batch is botched. Should it take this long to ferment? I've moved it to a warmer spot now. Thanks

The low dose of yeast maybe one of the reasons it's slow going. I never used WY2112, which is a hybrid yeast, before. The Kolsch yeast I've used (2565) is very active, but that's with a large starter.

Look up how to make starters from liquid yeast (yeast sticky). It's very easy and gives you much better fermentation. You're kinda lucky this thing is still chugging away, really.

Yea sounds normal. Depending on yeast strain and temperature, the airlock could keep going for a week or 2, or it could stop after 2 days. Is there still visible activity inside the carboy?

He posted a picture a few posts up. Yes, it's still fermenting.

here's an update on this brew.

Just took my first reading and it's about 1.016 (OG was about 1.060)
Tomorrow will be 4 weeks in the carboy. Smelled like beer, tasted kind of like beer ( only took a tiny sip) but didn't taste horrible or anything like what i've heard from infected beer.

Seems like this is probably done and ready for bottling?

Although it still looks the same, with all that krausen-like foam on top. curious what I should do.

thanks

I'd wait a couple days to bottle. Take another reading and if its still the same, then go ahead and bottle.

Any update on this brew? Did you bottle it? Taste it?

Am going to bottle this weekend.

tasted a tiny bit, and it wasn't terrible, smelled like beer, so i think that's a good sign. Still has that stuff on the top though, so i guess ill have to rack from underneath?

will keep updating

I'd wait a couple days to bottle. Take another reading and if its still the same, then go ahead and bottle.

Seems this brew is ready to bottle...However, all that stuff is still on the top.

Curious what technique I should employ when racking, so as not to get any of that in the bottling bucket.

(aside from obviously racking from underneath all that stuff)

thanks

I've used a nylon paint strainer bag from Home Depot or Lowes fixed around the end of my auto siphon when racking underneath a bunch of leaf hops.

the Update, because I know everyone has been waiting for this :)
The brew is in the bottles. Smells good, I'm chilling the sample and will try it later.
FG was around 1.014 (does that sound right)
OG was 1.060

I only yielded 36 bottles—maybe due to the amount of trub, and that other gunk that was on top? (a lot of that finally settled out)

bottled it, but still have my doubts.

Now I'm curious if the bottles i'm using are OK to use...combination of

Anchor Steam
Sam Adams
Pilsner Urquel
Red Hook IPA

I ask because the caps are on, but for some reason they don't quite look as tight as the previous batch I did.

thanks in advance for any thoughts

cheers

Yea sounds normal. Depending on yeast strain and temperature, the airlock could keep going for a week or 2, or it could stop after 2 days. Is there still visible activity inside the carboy?
30.gif
57.gif

If those are all 12 oz bottles and you used the normal amount of priming sugar for 5 gallons, you will be overcarbonated.

In the future you'll probably want to prime with a calculator:
http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

Uh oh...yes, they are 12 oz bottles...I didn't think i would only get 36, I thought it would be more. How are you to tell with the calculator? I had to leave some wort in the carboy, since there was still some gunk in the bottom.

I used 1 cup of water, with the priming sugar pack the store gave me. Too much?

so what now, bottle bombs??

thanks

Uh oh...yes, they are 12 oz bottles...I didn't think i would only get 36, I thought it would be more. How are you to tell with the calculator? I had to leave some wort in the carboy, since there was still some gunk in the bottom.

thanks

I made a couple of assumptions and ran a what if check:
  • Beer temp at bottling was ~68F
  • ~5.4 oz of sugar for 5 gallons (2.7 Vol CO2 = high end of the ale/lager range)
If those are both true you should get carbonation more like a german wheat or lambic from that same sugar in 3.4 gallons (3.6 vol CO2), so no bombs expected :mug:

Note: you can stop carbonation by moving them to a fridge when they are carbed enough.

I made a couple of assumptions and ran a what if check:
  • Beer temp at bottling was ~68F
  • ~5.4 oz of sugar for 5 gallons (2.7 Vol CO2 = high end of the ale/lager range)
If those are both true you should get carbonation more like a german wheat or lambic from that same sugar in 3.4 gallons (3.6 vol CO2), so no bombs expected :mug:

Note: you can stop carbonation by moving them to a fridge when they are carbed enough.

Hey thanks!!!

I was wondering, should i see some type of carbing happening in the neck within the next few days? I saw a video where a guy ever so slightly let some of the CO2 out of the bottle that was over-carbbed, to prevent any bombs.

thanks

Guess I've never paid super close attention to it, but I don't think you see much happening in the bottles when they're carbing up.

If you didn't put too much sugar in, and it sounds like you didn't, then you will be fine and should not have the need to vent CO2. In 2 to 3 weeks, you are going to have some grubbin beer. Remember to keep the bottles around 70 degrees while they carb up.

Ya gotta relax man, everything you have described has led me to believe you are going to have some good beer in them bottles.

Also, take this as a learning experience. There is such a wide variety of possibilities in fermentation and yeast krausens that you will think you have seen them all, until you find a new one. Even two identical batches often do not look the same in fermentations. But don't worry about it.

If you didn't put too much sugar in, and it sounds like you didn't, then you will be fine and should not have the need to vent CO2. In 2 to 3 weeks, you are going to have some grubbin beer. Remember to keep the bottles around 70 degrees while they carb up.

Ya gotta relax man, everything you have described has led me to believe you are going to have some good beer in them bottles.

Also, take this as a learning experience. There is such a wide variety of possibilities in fermentation and yeast krausens that you will think you have seen them all, until you find a new one. Even two identical batches often do not look the same in fermentations. But don't worry about it.

Thanks so much!

i just tasted the chilled sample from this morning. Supposed to be a Brekle's Brown clone...Smells good, tastes a bit bitter. I know it needs to condition quite a bit, but hopefully it gets some more body and character, cause right now it's pretty flat, both in carbonation of course, but also flavor

thanks for the insight

thanks

This is why a bottling bucket is preferred over bottling from the carboy. You rack from the carboy leaving all the trub behind. Then you have clear beer in the bucket and can see exactly what the volume is from the markings on the bucket.

This is why a bottling bucket is preferred over bottling from the carboy. You rack from the carboy leaving all the trub behind. Then you have clear beer in the bucket and can see exactly what the volume is from the markings on the bucket.

I did rack to a bottling bucket. Guess I wasn't careful to notice how much beer was actually in the bucket—plus, i added my priming sugar to the bucket, then racked the beer.

what's the "best" procedure?

thanks

I agree that putting your sugar in the bucket first, then racking on to it is the best practice. But If you don't know how much volume you will have after racking, you'll be able to measure it easier in the bottling bucket and then gently stir in the correct amount of priming sugar.

Better yet, add volume markers to your carboy. You should be able to see how much volume the trub is taking up and subtract that from the full volume to know pretty much how much will make it to your bottling bucket.

From a "5 gallon" kit I'd expect 4.75 gallons, give or take, to be the net bottled volume.

If you only got 36 bottles (assuming 12oz) there was a gallon or more (a 12-pack, at least) left on the table somewhere.

posting an update to this brew:

Just cracked a bottle—been 2 weeks today, so probably a little early? It's been in the fridge since Friday...Under carbed for sure, so hopefully by next week (week 3) it gets better.

Color looked ok, a little lighter than I expected, since this was to be a Brekle's Brown clone (brown ale)

Taste was OK...definitely a bit more bitter than i wanted, hopefully this will mellow out a bit in the coming weeks. I used Citra Hopps, which is what is in Brekle's Brown.

Any thoughts on why the bitter aftertaste ??

Thanks

Back