72 Hours, no visible fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtippet

Reaction score
My brother and I did our first brew last weekend. And because we are ambitious or morons, we decided to do an all-grain brew. We did a sierra nevada PA clone with Wyeast. We mashed at 152F for 60 mins (held the temp for entire time), did a batch sparge at 169/170F for 30 mins. Boiled 6 gallons for 60 mins, added hops as per schedule. It was a not a rolling boil but a boil (tried to contain boil over as I was using a 7 gallon pot). I live at 8000 ft above sea level so the boil was around 197F. After the boil we chilled with a wort chiller, took about 20-30 mins to get to 68 degrees. Dumped into plastic primary (star-san was used and dumped just prior to dumping wort) - pitched yeast, covered and set airlock (that had star-san in lock) **Here is one potential issue, my brother (being ever eager) grabbed the yeast, cut and pitched prior to putting it into star-san to sanitize)

After 72 hours I had not seen any bubbles in airlock. I was not able to take a hydrometer reading to this point as I realized, during the brew, that my kit did not come with a vessel to put the hydrometer in and I had nothing tall enough to take a reading. After the 72 hr mark I was able to get to a LHBS store and get a vessel - I took a sample with me, took a reading and it was almost as if the hydrometer sank the entire way. it leveled off just above the 1.000.

It smells fine, there is a bit of Krausen, maybe 1/4 inch on the surface. Is she DOA? Thanks - love the site.

Sounds like it had a quick fermentation. Process looks spot on and if there was visable Krausen, there was fermentation. It appears you are fine. RDWHAHB

Fermentation can be very fast and then slowly finish off. 1.000 sounds a little low, but certainly not unheard of. I assume you mean the package was not sanitized before you pitched? If not that shouldn't be that big of a deal. Sounds like you are good though. Let it sit for at least another week and a half.

My hydrometer came in a tube and I just use that as a graduated cylinder.

Close to 1.0 which is the gravity of plain water usually means it is rather done with fermentation. I would still give it some conditioning time(bottle carb at least 2-3 weeks). Probably quite thin bodied too. What was the estimated OG/FG of your recipe?

I would guess you have a air leak in your fermentor... I have a couple like that and I just toss a StarSan soaked Tee-Shirt over it and the airlock and the beer comes out fine...

At this point if it has not started.. you could toss somemore yeast on it but like I said I think it is done...

As you brew more you will figure ot how quick the yeast you are using takes off... some are slow starters.

I always have some Nottingham around just in case my beers show no activity in 24 hours, because "most" of the yeast I use should show some activity by then...

At that point you have not lost the beer it all depends...

Good luck and let us know if you made beer?

You might want to fill your hydrometer jar with water and check that. It surprised me a few weeks ago when I did this, my favorite hydrometer was reading 1.006 when it should have been reading 1.000! I had another hydrometer, and it read 1.000.

You might want to fill your hydrometer jar with water and check that. It surprised me a few weeks ago when I did this, my favorite hydrometer was reading 1.006 when it should have been reading 1.000! I had another hydrometer, and it read 1.000.

+1 on double-checking the hydro. I have one that reads .002 high and another that reads .002 low!

Hydro was off a bit, transferred to a secondary and now we wait. I'll let you know what we end up with. Either way - it's been fun up to this point and my garden got some good spent grains for food. Thanks for the replies.

Back