658 IBUs!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could use it as the old school Vikings did their semi-toxic shrooms, keester it!

There's worse. If you read HOPS there's an example of a beer that has a calculated Ibu of 3000+ but the measured iso is somewhere around 100.

tinseth formula currently the best we have and the simplified version is the industry standard, but it starts to fall apart once you exceed 70~.

So I lost a quart or so of wort to hop absorption on my last brew which had 11 oz of hops. With 658 IBU, hmm ... times the rate of absorption ... carry the 1 ... aaaand you'd yield one cup of wort.

Two things. One, the calculated IBUs and measured IBUs are seldom the same thing. Mikkeller's 1000 IBU beer is a good example. Now, this was actually measured at that many, which is astronomical.

Two, I was also under the impression that the human palate couldn't really discern much difference once you exceed ~100 IBUs.

Now, my thought on that is maybe that humans couldn't discern a difference >100 IBUs because few beers ACTUALLY exceed 100 IBUs. Or this won't taste any different than any other stupidly hoppy beer, at least not for the bitterness. And the IBUs and the flavor/aroma don't necessarily coincide linearly.

So I say gimmick. Would I try it if offered (even though I don't like stupidly hoppy much)? Absolutely. Am I ever going to pay for it? Uhh....no.

Yeah, those guys just need to stop. Everyone always looks at me funny when I say that guy is an extreme DB. That beer is a perfect example.

My friend distributes Dogfish Head for a third tier distributor in New Jersey and swears Sam Calagione is one of the most affable and un-snobby beer geeks in the craft sphere. Considering what I've seen in interviews and Brew Dogs, I'm inclined to agree.

You might not like Dogfish Head but its founder is like a lost puppy in his love for beer. Hard to find argument with that.

My friend distributes Dogfish Head for a third tier distributor in New Jersey and swears Sam Calagione is one of the most affable and un-snobby beer geeks in the craft sphere. Considering what I've seen in interviews and Brew Dogs, I'm inclined to agree.

You might not like Dogfish Head but its founder is like a lost puppy in his love for beer. Hard to find argument with that.

Hear Hear!

So I lost a quart or so of wort to hop absorption on my last brew which had 11 oz of hops. With 658 IBU, hmm ... times the rate of absorption ... carry the 1 ... aaaand you'd yield one cup of wort.

The article stated they used a bunch of hop extract as well. Not defending their silliness, just saying... and your joke didn't fly over my head, I lol'd ;)

Rev.

...........tinseth formula currently the best we have and the simplified version is the industry standard, but it starts to fall apart once you exceed 70~.

This is like all those golden earred audio geeks who brag about how the speakers in their stereo systems can play all the way up to 50kHz, when the human ear can't hear much if anything at all past 20kHz. The top end is even lower as you age, so I wonder if our palates are the same way.

Nothing against Sam. I do love his beers and he is one brewer I'd love to meet as the "puppy dog" quote mentioned, imo, is spot on. Dogfish Head seems to still have that same "homebrew" spirit to them that I like. I really hated to see Brewmasters getting canceled a few years back. I think that would have been a great show.

658 IBUs is just over the top for me. Would I try it? Absolutely, but I don't think I would buy it as it probably would be a $100 bomber.

I'd be more interested in the Chicha or the *****'s Brew.

This is like all those golden earred audio geeks who brag about how the speakers in their stereo systems can play all the way up to 50kHz, when the human ear can't hear much if anything at all past 20kHz. The top end is even lower as you age, so I wonder if our palates are the same way.

Nothing against Sam. I do love his beers and he is one brewer I'd love to meet as the "puppy dog" quote mentioned, imo, is spot on. Dogfish Head seems to still have that same "homebrew" spirit to them that I like. I really hated to see Brewmasters getting canceled a few years back. I think that would have been a great show.

658 IBUs is just over the top for me. Would I try it? Absolutely, but I don't think I would buy it as it probably would be a $100 bomber.

I'd be more interested in the Chicha or the *****'s Brew.
I'm sure it has more to do with the marketing team than the brewer.

Another issue with the super high Ibu brews is that hop solubility or degradation of iso alpha acids throughout the boil isn't really understood that we'll.

If you're interested, https://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/.../1957/22805/MalowickiMarkG2005.pdf?sequence=1 has a lot of good information but it's a masters thesis so it's rather long (45-50 page iirc)

I'll try it if I can afford it, but my upper limit for bombers is around $8 unless I know I'll love it. As for Sam, everything I've seen on Netflix or in interviews make me think he'd be fun to have a few beers with.

-- Nathan

So I say gimmick. Would I try it if offered (even though I don't like stupidly hoppy much)? Absolutely. Am I ever going to pay for it? Uhh....no.

I think I'm in the same boat (except for the not disliking stupidly hoppy part :cross: ).

Whatever they're charging, I doubt I'll feel like paying.

This is like all those golden earred audio geeks who brag about how the speakers in their stereo systems can play all the way up to 50kHz, when the human ear can't hear much if anything at all past 20kHz.

What's worse is the ones that pay large sums for their speaker wire. I get the spending money on speakers. They are the transducer that produces the audio and have the most impact on the sound. But wire???

I'll bet that most people over the age of 25 can't hear much over 15kHz.

There has to be an artisanal gin out there with hops.

Of course!

whole_leaf_gin.png

I don't like DIPAs, but a small part of me just wants to brew something theoretically extreme on the IBUs. Even test one at 120 vs 400, or something like that. Why can't brulosophy do one of those? I'm sure he could get the hops donated for it.

I don't like DIPAs, but a small part of me just wants to brew something theoretically extreme on the IBUs. Even test one at 120 vs 400, or something like that. Why can't brulosophy do one of those? I'm sure he could get the hops donated for it.

iso acids have a solubility limit that isn't accounted for by the tinseth formula. Moreover iso acids degrade throughout extended boil. Some of them are lost after the boil, to trub. Some are lost after fermentation.

Besides the science above it's often attributed that we can't taste above 70 Ibu. I doubt there would be any significant difference. I'm sure that it's somewhere on Marshalls extensive "to do" list though.

iso acids have a solubility limit that isn't accounted for by the tinseth formula. Moreover iso acids degrade throughout extended boil. Some of them are lost after the boil, to trub. Some are lost after fermentation.

Besides the science above it's often attributed that we can't taste above 70 Ibu. I doubt there would be any significant difference. I'm sure that it's somewhere on Marshalls extensive "to do" list though.

70? Really? I have read that it's more around 120.

Yeah, I'm sure it is. But that means there's probably ones he deems more fit to test than this one. So I decided I'm going to see what happens. It will hopefully be my next two brews, but I'm not sure when that will happen. Definitely in December:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=558940

Back