6 gal. vs. 6.5 gal. fermenter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dosniner

Reaction score
Hi all,
First post here, and kind of new to homebrewing, only on my 3rd batch. I'm enjoying it though and am about to add to my equipment. My question is, what would be better, a 6 gal. carboy with blowoff tube for initial fermentation or a 6.5 gal. with an airlock? I'm assuming (correct me if I'm wrong) that a 6 gal. with an airlock would be too small and may get overrun by the fermentation. What do you guys use? I'm using a 7 gal. plastic bucket now, no secondary.

I've never had an issue with most fermentations in a 6 gallon fermenter with just an airlock. If it's not a high grav beer you should be ok, BUT having the fixings to swap out to a blowoff tube is always good to have near your fermenter.

I've really only EVER needed a blowoff for high grave beers. Not my typical ales.

Depends on how much you put in the fermenter. I try to get 5.5 gallons in minimum, so 6.5 is best for me. Otherwise just have a blowoff tube ready as revvy stated and you'll be fine.

Thanks guys. Not planning on high grav. or more than 5 gal. right now so I guess I'll go with the 6 gal./airlock with blowoff tube just in case. Northern Brewer seems to have a good price on stuff, but is there anywhere else I should look?

At any rate, I had such a good time brewing last Saturday, (I have a wheat beer sitting in the bucket) that I want to immediately brew up another batch, hence the need for another fermenter.

Back