5th batch. Leffe Blonde Clone questions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tripppleP

Reaction score
Im planning my 5th batch and this will be a Leffe Blonde clone I had found a recipe on this site. It will be my first attempt with this style beer. Im planning on using plain distilled water for this. I also want to add vanilla and clove as the label states aromas or hints of the vanilla and clove.

My questions:

For those familiar with Leffe Blonde and the taste.

When do I add vanilla and clove?

When you drink the beer you can notice the vanilla and clove but I dont want it to be over whelming.

How much vanilla and clove?

I have one vanilla been but still need to pick up clove. Im planning on just grabbing clove from the supermarket. I have a scale to use to weigh the products. And , I was thinking of adding the vanilla and clove at the same time right before the boil is done and give it a minute then turn off the heat, let cool, and then remove.

This beer has has late additions of candi sugar and pilsner malt. What does late additions do compared to putting everything in up front?

Is there anything Im missing?

Im using 3787 yeast instead of what is listed in the recipe below. Different recipes call for either one so I just went with the 3787 while discussing this at my local home brew store. I may try the same recipe with the other yeast to compare in the future.

Thanks for replies. I appreciate everyones help and insight.

Recipe:

FERMENTABLES
-- 3.15 lbs Pilsen malt syrup (60 min)
-- 3.15 lbs Pilsen malt syrup late addition (15 min)
-- 1 lb Soft Blond Candi Sugar late addition (15 min)
HOPS & FLAVORINGS
-- 1.5 oz Hersbrucker (60 min)
-- 0.5 oz Hersbrucker (5 min)
YEAST
-- WYEAST 1762 BELGIAN ABBEY II (actually using 3787 instead)

I'm fairly certain that they don't use actual vanilla and clove in Leffe--those are malt and yeast-derived flavors. If you're looking to do a clone, I would skip them. I also wouldn't advise using plain distilled water--you need some minerals for yeast health. Use a water calculator (the one at Brewer's Friend is pretty user-friendly) to figure out how much calcium chloride and gypsum you need to add to get to at least 50ppm of calcium. Assuming this is a full 5 gallon batch, you would probably need about 1/2 to 3/4 tsp of each.

I agree, Belgians are all about the yeast character, don't add any spices, I'm doing a very similar recipe for a Westmalle Extra using the same yeast.

Back