5L mini-kegs... not worth it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golddiggie

Reaction score
Here's the deal, when I was ready to bottle my first two brews, I didn't really want to have a ton of bottles hanging around. So, I picked up the party pack (four 5L mini-kegs plus the CO2 tap item to pour it better)... It was pretty good for the first mini-keg I used, since I went through it pretty fast (in just a few days). But, since then they've been pains in the ass. Supposedly you get up to 90 days (to drink the brew) with the CO2 tap item on it. But, since it doesn't seal even close to well, you can't. You'll lose all the carbonation from the brew, and go through more than a few 16 gram CO2 cartridges in the process in just a week. I have one still with brew in it, which I plan to take to a family gathering/party on Feb. 12th so that it will be finished off that day.

I'm planning to NEVER use these POS kegs again. I have about 2-1/2 cases of (16oz) Grolsch style) bottles empty right now (plus 5 1L) with the balance still with brew in them. I also have a few brews in process (two aging on oak chips, two still in primary) that I'll be looking to keg properly.

While the 5L mini-kegs sound like a great idea at face value, do yourself a favor. If you're NOT going to finish one off in under 3-4 days, don't use them. Also, you'll get a LOT of foam in the brew for the first few pulls (not just the first one the documentation claims) so be prepared for that issue too. I'm talking about ~1" of brew and the rest of the glass of foam (in 16oz glasses)... Even once you've pulled a few pints out of the keg, you'll still have excessive foam from it. Trying to adjust the CO2 knob is pretty much guesswork. Yes, it has a level 'indicator' but it's like a volume dial on your old Walkman... They also leak air/CO2 like there's no tomorrow. So, if you think you can tap it, and then keep it around with the same cartridge, and keep it carbonated, for more than a day or two, think again. Since they cannot hold any decent pressure, once tapped, you'll use up a cartridge in a few hours if you set it to keep CO2 inside the keg. NOT a good thing at all.

Now I'll need to figure out what to do with these things. Maybe I can convert one, or two, into table lamps... The tap assembly itself will probably go onto the shelf of bad ideas...

I'm now planning on picking up a regular keg setup with the CO2 tank and such, plus one 5 gallon and one either 2.5 or 3 gallon keg to start. If not this week, then soon enough to be able to use it on Feb. 12th as well. Within another month, or so, I'll be starting work on a keezer to keep the brew at the proper temperatures.

I'd recommend just getting a couple of 5 gal cornies. The 3 gal ones aren't any cheaper (sometimes more expensive) unless you have a line on one that is up for adoption. You don't have to fill the 5 all the way to the top, just purge, fill and keep it under pressure. Plus you'll want the capacity later. I've got a 3 gal cornie that rarely ever gets filled. Only a special high gravity ale ever goes into it.

5 liter kegs rock! You just got the wrong ones.

The picture is on top of my keezer along with two other kegs for size comparison.

A standard 5-gallon Corny Keg. Have 14.
A 10-liter Hersteller keg. Have 6.
(I used to have 15 10-liter kegs. I sold a few on this site and several more locally to get down to what I was actually using and a couple of spares.)
A 5-liter Hersteller keg. Have 3.

I use 2 of the 10-liter kegs in my coolerator and 2 more on the hump area of the keezer.

I use the 5-liter kegs for taking homebrew to brewclub meetings, for batches of mixed drinks and even sparkling wines served from the keezer. They are just the right size for small events.

Kegs.jpg

The picture is on top of my keezer along with two other kegs for size comparison.

A 10-liter Hersteller keg. Have 6, used to have 15.

I use 2 of the 10-liter kegs in my coolerator and 2 more on the hump area of the keezer.

I use the 5-liter kegs for taking homebrew to brewclub meetings, for batches of mixed drinks and even sparkling wines served from the keezer. They are just the right size for small events.

That is awesome

That is awesome

I agree, it is awesome, but, the problem comes when the one on the left goes for 20-25 bucks, the one in the middle goes for 100, and I can't even find any of the small one on the right. What would you get based on that? I would go for 5 5 gal cornys before I got one 3 gallon...and I actually want a 3 gallon for my 2.5 experiment brews. Just not worth it.

Orlando

I'll be getting the 3 gallon corny (one to start, more to come later) so that I can take brew to parties and such more easily. Plus, when I'm splitting a 5 gallon batch with someone it will be easier to fill the corny than to bottle up my share.

I will be getting some of the 5 gallon corny's too, but I see real use for both sizes. I can see, eventually, having more than a couple of the 3 gallon (and perhaps the 2.5 gallon size too) corny's as well as the 5 gallon size.

For the record, NEW corny's are almost the same price no matter what size you get (shop around a little)... I have a line of some really nice [used] 3 gallon corny's for ~$90 in my area. I'll probably be getting the same person's starter kit (one 5 gallon corny, plus the CO2 tank and all needed fittings) soon. I'll get the 3 gallon corny at the same time (unless he has a 2.5 gallon on hand)... I might even get a second small corny...

I do make more a good percentage of brews that are high gravity (to start) brews. Those that start at over 1.070... I have one that's aging on some oak chips right now (in my first 5 gallon corny). I do plan on using some of the 5 gallon corny's for either secondary, or even primary, fermentation tanks. I do like how they take up less floor space than the carboy's, or buckets. I also like how much stronger they are than either of the other items.

As for putting 2.5-3 gallons of brew into a 5 gallon corny, from my understanding, you could run into trouble there with carbonating (and other things too)... I'd much rather have a properly sized corny for the amount of brew I'll have in it, than have 2+ gallons worth of head space. Plus, it's easier to fit a 2.5 or 3 gallon corny into a soft sided cooler I have, for chilling/serving it. I really don't want to pick up a new cooler, or even trash can, to cool it before serving it.

I'd rather get the correctly sized item, than just get what's cheaper. Especially since I'm starting a new job, and will have the funds to do things right (finally)...

A 10-liter Hersteller keg. Have 6.
(I used to have 15 10-liter kegs. I sold a few on this site and several more locally to get down to what I was actually using and a couple of spares.)

And where do you acually GET those small kegs?? Not seen them listed on any of the sites I've found that sell corny's... Never seen one in person either. The smallest I've seen, so far, are the 2.5 gallon corny's...

I've used the 5-ltr mini kegs for years - but only for parties and gatherings - and they're perfect for that because they're emptied within a couple of hours. Anytime I make a cider, 2-3 mini-kegs are filled, the rest of the batch is bottled. The tap system for the mini-kegs is, IMO, a waste of time and $$. If I plan to tap something, that's where a 3 or 5 gallon corny comes in.

Photomask - I love the 5 ltr corny! Nice find. :)

And where do you acually GET those small kegs?? Not seen them listed on any of the sites I've found that sell corny's... Never seen one in person either. The smallest I've seen, so far, are the 2.5 gallon corny's...

They're very rare. So far, the 3 I have are the only 3 that I've seen. They originally came out of Germany.

They're very rare. So far, the 3 I have are the only 3 that I've seen. They originally came out of Germany.

Figured as much... So it's not a matter of someone getting "the wrong type" since the other type really isn't available.

I think that the, actually available, 2.5 and 3 gallon corny kegs are good sizes for brews that could be going to parties. I'm not willing to bring a full 5 gallon corny keg, since there could be times when the people at the gathering could kick it. Then, I'll be without any of that brew. With the smaller kegs I'll be able to keep one for myself, and bring the other to the party/gathering and not really care if they kill it.

We're having a gathering/party on Feb. 12th that I'm bringing home brew to... Right now, the plan is to bring the last of the 5L mini-kegs with me, as well as one other brew (still in primary)...

I'd love to have some of those 5L kegs! They'd be perfect for taking to parties and/or making a portable "trash can" dispenser. My 5 gal. cornies are just too big to haul around at parties.

I'd love to have some of those 5L kegs! They'd be perfect for taking to parties and/or making a portable "trash can" dispenser. My 5 gal. cornies are just too big to haul around at parties.

That's what I thought the 5L mini-kegs would give me... How wrong I was...

I now realize that corny kegs are really the only viable option. So, either 2.5 or 3 gallon corny kegs for partial batches, or brews going to parties/gatherings, and 5 gallon corny kegs for brews that will be staying at home. 5 gallon especially for when I get a nitrogen setup... :D

They're available, just rare in the US.
http://www.ucon.de/index.php?id=51

But where can you actually BUY them?? Not that I care about the 5L size anymore. 2.5 or 3 gallon will do just fine for a smaller size for me.

It would probably be cheaper to have a machine shop cut down a 5 gallon (used) corny to a small size than to buy one of the 5L corny style kegs. Especially once you get it shipped over from Germany and all that (plus the conversion from USD to Euro)...

The 3 gallon ones can be found now and then on ebay but I bet you can't score one for under $100

I can score a really clean 3 gallon corny from a local person for $90... No shipping cost, or concerns about getting boned by the deal... So even if you find the one on [scr]e[w]bay, you'll spend additional money on shipping (probably $10+ even for UPS ground)... With the local guy, $0 shipping, I get to actually inspect the corny before I buy it, and I have someone to beat if things go sideways.

That's all well and good for people that want brand spanking new, and can afford the shipping cost, or wait for it. I'm planning on going local, where I don't need to worry about shipping, and I'll have it same day. My cost (total) is $90... Besides, the same person has a good deal on a complete kegging setup (includes 5# CO2 tank, the good regulators, fittings and a reconditioned 5 gallon corny) for less than I've seen elsewhere (even online)... The only one that came close was Rebel Brewer, but including even ground shipping, they came out at more (by a few dollars)... Again, buying local, getting same day, etc...

For those of you asking about the one gallon (five liter cornys), you have to search for one gallon pressure vessels. They do not come with corny posts, but you can convert them with very little effort. I picked a new-in-box one up off eBay a few months back for about $84 shipped to my door. You can also find them used, but, being that these were lab vessels, I was a bit hesitant to go that route. I've seen them as high as $200 new. You have to be patient, but they are out there. I use a faucet adapter and a little CO2 charger on mine and it works great.

They actually had those for $69 on Black Friday. I had one in my hand but alas didn't pull the trigger as I'm not quite ready to make the kegging jump. Still a great deal for the $75 though. AIH is the best!

They actually had those for $69 on Black Friday. I had one in my hand but alas didn't pull the trigger as I'm not quite ready to make the kegging jump. Still a great deal for the $75 though. AIH is the best!

All 11 of my 5 gallon kegs are from AIH. Some were the new Chinese ones ($75), some were their normal used ones ($60), and some were their "loose handle" bargains ($40). All do a fine job and all were good values. I'll be buying some 2.5 gallon ones later.

I'm now planning on picking up a regular keg setup with the CO2 tank and such, plus one 5 gallon and one either 2.5 or 3 gallon keg to start.

I have 2 three gallon corny kegs (in addition to my 2 five gallon ones), and they are the best! I brew 5.5 gallon batches and I can split the batch evenly between them.

I force carb with them, but serve with the Co2 chargers and mini canisters and cobra taps. Super portable, bring em' anywhere. They fit in most refrigerators and hold their pressure like crazy!

10/10 for small corney kegs.

I'm bookmarking this thread because one of the upsides of our move is that my wife is going to let me start kegging.

I've been looking at the 5L minikegs and PET bottles. I have always been hesitant on them because I've been concerned about beer stability because I don't go through my beer quickly.

Getting some 3L kegs or 2.5L (MoreBeer) ones would be good for me because right now I'm space limited to a single mini-fridge for both fermenting and serving.

Back