5L Mini keg over-carbonated?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Power

Twosplash
Reaction score
I brewed my first all-grain brew, a Belgian Saison that I racked yesterday, half of the 5-gallon batch to two 5L mini-kegs and the rest to EZ-Cap bottles and regular ones. Since the 5L mini-kegs can't handle as much pressure, I researched and found out that they should never be carbonated with more than 1/3 cup dextrose (in boiled water solution) for the full 5 gallon batch batch. I used 67 grams (1/3 cup) for the full batch and racked off the two minikegs. I then added 37 more grams of dextrose solution to the remainder before filling the bottles so the bottles would have more carbonation than the kegs. Northern Brew's priming calculator says saisons should be at 3.2 volumes which is high. The amount I used in the mini-kegs should only be about 1.7 volumes.

The Problem: Less than one full day later one of the mini-kegs was leaking beer badly from around the bottom tap. Yikes. The mini-kegs haven't been used in years so they may have developed a cracked seal. In a panic, I grabbed another empty mini-keg and tried to save the beer by filling directly from the tap into the other keg. It was super foamy from excessive CO2 and oxygenated the crap out of the beer (I know, bad). Just as I put the partially salvaged mini-keg back with its partner, I saw the bottom tap on that one is now also popped out (but not leaking yet). I think my mini-kegs are in trouble. Doe anyone have any suggestions (besides stop using mini-kegs dummy and move to Corney Kegs)? I'd hate to lose half the batch.

I used to use these. To many issues with them and too much lost beer so i gave up on them. Here is my only thought. Turn the mini upside down, slowly open the bottom tap and see if you can bleed off the excess pressure then close it up again. You may want to drape a towel over the tap in case it decides to spray.
Like I said though. I always had too many issues that I could never iron out. Others may have had better luck.

Latest posts

Back