50a PID Control Panel, 2 elements.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteSeattle

Reaction score
Hi folks. I was hoping this would be an easy installation but apparently not from my electrician.

I have no clue about anything electrical. That’s why I purchased a complete system with prebuilt box from @SpikeBrewing (really ebrewsupply). This control box ... https://ebrewsupply.com/collections/50a-control-panels/products/50a-pid-control-panel-2-elements

The electrician thought anyone would be crazy to install the box and that it would immediately catch fire. He said it wouldn’t pass inspection because there’s no way they’d approve 50a to run through the supplied cable. According to him in order to pass inspection he’d have to use a new cable that was hard wired and not plugged in as supplied.

Anyone have this pushback before? I’m guessing I’ll get various answers since most of you all d.i.y. Something doesn’t seem right since I have really never come across a similar posting. I would really appreciate some constructive advice. I may have to return the control box and get the one element at a time.

Thanks all.

Edit: I did call ebrew supply but the only person in didn’t have electrical knowledge.

Sounds like a bogus line to me. Most electric stoves are 50A, and plug into a wall outlet. Also, many 50A welders plug in. If the brew control panel is hardwired to the structure wiring, then the panel would have to be code compliant (the way I understand it, but I am not an electrician.) If the cable is 6AWG then it's good for 50A.

Brew on :mug:

Sounds like a bogus line to me. Most electric stoves are 50A, and plug into a wall outlet. Also, many 50A welders plug in. If the brew control panel is hardwired to the structure wiring, then the panel would have to be code compliant (the way I understand it, but I am not an electrician.) If the cable is 6AWG then it's good for 50A.

Thanks for the info.

Did you install your own system? Or did you use an electrician and are they available (since you’re in Renton and I’m not that far away)?

No, I haven't electrified my own system yet, but have helped quite a few others with panel designs. When the time comes, I will hire an electrician to install a 30A GFCI breaker in my house panel feeding a four wire outlet.

Unfortunately I have found some electricians get very scared when the dont see the ul listing label and instantly panic Especially if its something they are not familiar with.. I would also seek out a new electrician. you may very likely get a completely different opinion from someone else more familiar with this stuff. Many electric nano breweries out there that are stuck with single phase like ours utilize multiple 50 or 60a circuits to power the multiple elements.

Let me ask you, is your panel one that allows both heating elements to be on at the same time? those that have a selector switch dont, and therefore only draw less than 30a even though they have multiple element outputs. Maybe this is the case here? if not you need a 6awg powercable from the panel to the 50a outlet. the panel you linked recommends a 60a service with a 60a gfci...

I have the same system and got no such pushback. My suggestion would be to just have an electrician install the plug with the gfci circuit breaker. There is no need for him to touch your panel or “install” it as it already has a plug. All he is responsible for is the plug and the breaker what you plug into it shouldn’t be his concern.

I have a dual element setup... using one of those California plugs and a 25ft RV cable, but i wired it in myself. I've pulled 45amps no issue... no fires yet.

You just have to make sure it's wired right... I think it was 6/3 romex to a 50amp gfci breaker. The electrician should know this. I found a lot of results for similar setups when searching for installation of Tesla charge stations. Def shop around and get another electrician, esp since the panel was bought and not built yourself... it's even less sketchy. If they seem to be having issues with the cord, just have them install the outlet for you. Not sure which one you got, but it's prob NEMA 14-50 range-type plug and that should be a easy to install as long as they know you're running 50amp off it and to use at least 6/3 wire.

Unfortunately I have found some electricians get very scared when the dont see the ul listing label and instantly panic Especially if its something they are not familiar with.. I would also seek out a new electrician. you may very likely get a completely different opinion from someone else more familiar with this stuff. Many electric nano breweries out there that are stuck with single phase like ours utilize multiple 50 or 60a circuits to power the multiple elements.

Let me ask you, is your panel one that allows both heating elements to be on at the same time? those that have a selector switch dont, and therefore only draw less than 30a even though they have multiple element outputs. Maybe this is the case here? if not you need a 6awg powercable from the panel to the 50a outlet. the panel you linked recommends a 60a service with a 60a gfci...
Yes, the panel is set-up to run both elements. That’s the same info I got from ebrew hardware and the original electrician mentioned earlier for installing power. In Seattle it seems we have a shortage of home construction folk since the housing market is still hot. Even if I go with this electrician he’s at least a month out before he can do anything. I’ve had this system for a while and really anxious to get thing started.

Thanks for the info and advice folks

You might try putting a post out on Facebook. I am not very social so I don’t do social media but I hear that can be a great source for electricians and such who work for big companies but like to make a little extra on the side.

For the record I have mine set up in a building that was built by the previous homeowner. She had a 50 amp line run to the building. I run both burners (although they never really need to run at full power at the same time) the Wall ac unit, the lights, my stir plate, radio, dehumidifier and glycol chiller and have never had it get hot or trip a fuse.

Back