5 Gallons with 1 oz hops. Fix my Beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mugsfull

Reaction score
I was planning an IPA. I realized too late that I had only 1 oz of German Polaris 18%. Brew day had already started, grains milled, water and mash tun ready. Propane out and kettle in place. I opened the freezer and forgot that I had used the last of my hops, save the last 1 oz of GP.
I decided to make the beer. I divided the 1 oz into two additions; ¾ at 60 and ¼ at 20. So there it is. It’s in the fermenter and I wonder if this is gonna be a lousy sweet beer or if there are ideas to improve the situation.

Recipe: (AG)
11.25 lb Belgian 2 row Pilsner
½ lb C60
¼ lb Carapils
1 lb turbinado sugar

Safale05
OG: 1.076

The only other 1 oz hop beer I’ve made was the NB Extract Kit for Cream Ale. Very low gravity, but nice beer. It had one ounce Cluster at 60 mins. That’s it. Any comments or suggestions are welcome other than “check your ingredients before you brew”!

So how far is the closest Home Brew Party store?

Even the lightest-hopped brew I've ever done needed more than one ounce for a five gallon batch.

btw, does Polaris actually convey a mint note? I've never used it (and if there's mint involved probably won't ever)...

Cheers!

I would dry hop with the intended hops; perhaps at primary to secondary

Clearly 1 oz for an IPA is not enough to call it an IPA and there will not be any balancing flavors to the turbinado sugar

The grain bill isn't bad

Or...you could use it as a base for something else. I brew beer like this so it can become something different later. A blank slate so to speak. How about rasberries, cherries, chilli and tequila, idk. You could put 5 or 6 oz of hops in there dry hopped and that would be good too. Hope you report back.

Thanks for the replies and good hop chart. I looked at some threads of adding hop tea. But I think I might just make a second identical beer. Hop the living Sh*t out of it and blend.

Back