5/8 IC chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gotbags-10

Reaction score
So lowes has a closeout on 60feet of 5/8OD copper coil for 34$. I was actually there to get the 50ft coil of 1/2" but saw that. Is 5/8 way to big? Obviously I'm thinking it would be a ton of water wasted possibly. Whatcha think ?

What size batches? Wouldn't really waste more water IMO, as you could keep the same flow rate, and with more surface area the 5/8 should chill more efficiently.

Unless you are doing very large batches, I would think the 1/2 w 50' is plenty.

Will shaping the 5/8 be difficult? That's hefty tubing!

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

My first DIY IC was made from 20' of 5/8" copper tubing. It was a real PITA to bend it without it kinking. Unless you have a tubing bender, go with the 1/2". It will be easier to work.

I don't have a tubing bender but for that price I could afford one to go with it. I do both 5 and 10 g batches.

Not necessarily - once I get below 140* or so I slow my flow way down to get good heat transfer. I have a 3/8 with real tall 1/2" rigid tube risers, probably 40' total. I can get from boil to under 100 in under 15 minutes with 60 tap water. I do 5 gal in a keggle. I have also used mine for 10 gal and it's decent but needs a pre chiller.

Well it kills me to pass up such a good deal but it sounds like it may be a hassle and it's not really needed. 1/2" 50footer it is then.
On a side note, what should I use to bend it with for the ends? I've seen the springs and also the pipe benders? Thanks guys

Back