4mm ID Beer Line (EVABarrier)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll have experience with it once I hook mine up tonight. It has resistance of something like 2.8 per foot. My calculator says just short of 4 feet for 38 degrees at 11 psi.

These hoses have a "slick liner" so I'm sure it's a bit smoother.....wonder if we can find out the exact number

Which roughness do you recommend using in the calculator for EVAbarrier 4mm instead of vinyl tubing (e=0.000016 [ft])?
Thanks!

I've used the 4mm in the past. Really good tubing but my one issue with the 4mm is when you stretch it over the 1/4 barbs it likes to split. I split it a half dozen times before I got it on all my fittings. Small pain to pull the tubing off and cut the spit off then start over. However, I have sense switch to the 5mm which is closer to 3/16 in size. You still have to stretch it over the barbs but no splitting. You do lose some wall thickness. I'd rather lose wall thickness then a keg of beer from a line split.

5/32=3.968mm
3/16=4.762mm
1/4=6.35mm

I've used the 4mm in the past. Really good tubing but my one issue with the 4mm is when you stretch it over the 1/4 barbs it likes to split. I split it a half dozen times before I got it on all my fittings. Small pain to pull the tubing off and cut the spit off then start over. However, I have sense switch to the 5mm which is closer to 3/16 in size. You still have to stretch it over the barbs but no splitting. You do lose some wall thickness. I'd rather lose wall thickness then a keg of beer from a line split.

5/32=3.968mm
3/16=4.762mm
1/4=6.35mm

I've never split 4mm when using heat. I'd rather run 5 feet of 4mm than 12 feet of 5mm.

I've never split 4mm when using heat. I'd rather run 5 feet of 4mm than 12 feet of 5mm.

I soaked the tip in near boiling water (ouch) and I still managed to split them. But then again, I've never had a delicate touch when in come to these things. How my Kezzer is set up, I've always ran 10ft of tubing. I haven't seen any difference in 10ft of 4mm over 5mm. Now you got me wondering!?! Let me pour a pint and reflect.

I soaked the tip in near boiling water (ouch) and I still managed to split them. But then again, I've never had a delicate touch when in come to these things. How my Kezzer is set up, I've always ran 10ft of tubing. I haven't seen any difference in 10ft of 4mm over 5mm. Now you got me wondering!?! Let me pour a pint and reflect.

That's probably too hot. It softens at about 140F. I'm not sure if the plastic gets damaged at hotter temps.

9.8 feet (1/4 roll) is too long for my kegerator with tower. 5.5 is too short. Soon, I'll find the right length. I haven't split any ends yet - might have lost some hair though. I have to wonder how one length can work for both a lightly carbed stout and also a lager with more volumes of CO2.

fwiw, I run four kegs @11 psi on 6.5 foot 4mm ID EVAbarrier lines (pales/ipas/neipas), one keg @15 psi on 9.5 feet (usually a wheat beer), and the last keg @35 psi on 6.5 feet (my stout on beer gas). Reliably solid pours on all, year 'round. The "half-foot's" are the short sections to splice in my flow meters atop the kegs. All lines connected with PTC fittings from either John Guest, DMfit or Duotight...

Cheers!

9.8 feet (1/4 roll) is too long for my kegerator with tower. 5.5 is too short. Soon, I'll find the right length. I haven't split any ends yet - might have lost some hair though. I have to wonder how one length can work for both a lightly carbed stout and also a lager with more volumes of CO2.

You can use a short length of 5mm to make it easier to attach and then join that to the 4mm tubing. They have the same OD so they slide into the same fittings

I’m hoping someone here would have some insight:

I have built a 4 keg kegerator. Two kegs are level with the taps and the other two are about 2 feet below the taps. For the ones that are level with the tap (the middle of the keg being level with the tap) I typed in the diameter of the 4mm Evabarrier tubing into a calculator and it is telling me about 4.5 ft of tubing.

My physics might be off but wouldn’t having a keg level or maybe slightly higher than the taps require MORE resistance rather than less? I have 23 feet of 4mm I cut evenly to four 5.75 ft sections since I see 5.5 ft seems to be the standard starting point for most applications.

I run all my lines at 10ft. I can serve high PSI beers without issues and I don't worry about a slower flow on low PSI beers.

I run all my lines at 10ft. I can serve high PSI beers without issues and I don't worry about a slower flow on low PSI beers.
Dang. Guess I’m gonna have to buy another roll. Maybe I’ll get the 39 ft one this time.

I'm using the 4mm with 7 foot runs. I wanted a slightly longer line for a slower poor. It takes about 12 seconds to fill a pint.

I ferment drier than most people, so I run about 1-2 psi higher than a normal beer would.

Try the 5.75 foot lines and see how they work. They may be ok. I'm running 6.5 foot 4mm EVABarrier lines and they work fine.
I have and I’m getting quite a bit of foam. I’m wondering if it’s because gravity isn’t a factor, really. It’s the opposite problem where it actually has a slight momentum from gravity because of the keg location. It’s not an insane amount but it’s enough that it makes the beer flat.

I'm using the 4mm with 7 foot runs. I wanted a slightly longer line for a slower poor. It takes about 12 seconds to fill a pint.

I ferment drier than most people, so I run about 1-2 psi higher than a normal beer would.
I don’t necessarily ferment drier but I do prefer slightly higher carbonation than most people probably do. I might add a couple feet and see if that helps.

edit: drier, not higher

Dang. Guess I’m gonna have to buy another roll. Maybe I’ll get the 39 ft one this time.
I think I just split the roll between my taps and it worked out to around 10ft each. You can't cut it longer once you've cut it shorter. Splices do not help, they cause turbulence and aggravate the foaming.

5.5 works a treat on my system. I run about 11psi at 36-38F.
I’m at 40F. I don’t know what the deal is. It’s been sitting at 12 psi for a couple weeks, carbing. Never shook it or anything. I cranked it to 20 psi for a night to give it a head start so I don’t think it’s over carbed.

I’m at 40F. I don’t know what the deal is. It’s been sitting at 12 psi for a couple weeks, carbing. Never shook it or anything. I cranked it to 20 psi for a night to give it a head start so I don’t think it’s over carbed.

Maybe your regulator gauge is not reading correctly?

I agree with this. All my lines are just shy of 10 feet long. I bought a 39 foot coil from MoreBeer and cut it in fourths. If I had it to do again, I’d cut them even longer. I don’t mind the longer time to pour a pint. A few extra seconds isn’t worth the heartburn for me. I’m not in the business of pouring as many pints as I can in a day. I’m in Colorado and my regulator pressure is 15-16 lbs to carbonate to the ≈2.5 volumes I like in most of my beers. YMMV. I’ve never had good luck with the length calculators and tend to add several feet to any of their suggested lengths. As stated before, you can always trim it shorter if need be, but adding length doesn’t work without replacing the entire line.

fwiw, I run four kegs @11 psi on 6.5 foot 4mm ID EVAbarrier lines (pales/ipas/neipas), one keg @15 psi on 9.5 feet (usually a wheat beer), and the last keg @35 psi on 6.5 feet (my stout on beer gas). Reliably solid pours on all, year 'round. The "half-foot's" are the short sections to splice in my flow meters atop the kegs. All lines connected with PTC fittings from either John Guest, DMfit or Duotight...

Cheers!
Couldnt you accomplish the same thing with same-length beerlines and a regulator on each line?

I'm looking into investing in some of this type of beer line.
Any of you using DuoTight push fittings instead of heating the tube and pulling it over the barb?
I've seen them for the ball lock connector on the keg end but need to check if I find the right one to fit my larger tap barbs.
Do they work good?

https://ikegger.eu/products/duo-tight-8mm-push-fittings
Edit:

I see now the best option is to remove the barb from the tap and connected this to the shank instead.

https://ikegger.eu/products/duo-tight-8mm-push-fittings?variant=20717947682919
Still wondering if they are a good option or not though

Last edited:
There are many Duotight enthusiasts. Ease of use is big. Some downsides: must take care to avoid overtightening and consequent cracking; and stress on the lines (as in a crowded kegerator) can cause leaking.

I'm looking into investing in some of this type of beer line.
Any of you using DuoTight push fittings instead of heating the tube and pulling it over the barb?
I've seen them for the ball lock connector on the keg end but need to check if I find the right one to fit my larger tap barbs.
Do they work good?

https://ikegger.eu/products/duo-tight-8mm-push-fittings
Edit:

I see now the best option is to remove the barb from the tap and connected this to the shank instead.

https://ikegger.eu/products/duo-tight-8mm-push-fittings?variant=20717947682919
Still wondering if they are a good option or not though
I love them, so far. I don’t have any line stress and no leaks that I can tell. You can over tighten them. An easy solution to this is to, well, not over tighten them. I tightened by hand and then added a 1/4 turn with a wrench. No issues. There is a mental aspect to them. Because of how easy they come together and how many connections there can potentially be, I always feel like it’s leaking even though it isn’t. I am constantly looking at my regulator when I’m at the kegerator to see if the high pressure gauge has dropped significantly. It just feels too good to be true, if that makes sense.

Edit: I see you’re referring to the liquid side of it. Same deal except no worries about leaks because you can see if it’s leaking really easily.

Update: must have been a fluke that day because I poured a couple pints this evening and didn’t have foam issues. Don’t know what the deal is. I added 2 stouts last weekend set to 10 psi and they both poured perfectly.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
I still have 75 feet of 6mm silicon tubing so I'll use that up first but when the time comes to replace it I think I'll go for the 4mm EV Barrier with DuoTight and just be careful not to close it too tight.

Back