Quantcast

4mm ID Beer Line (EVABarrier)

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Cavpilot2000

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'll have experience with it once I hook mine up tonight. It has resistance of something like 2.8 per foot. My calculator says just short of 4 feet for 38 degrees at 11 psi.

Robert65

Major Obvious (recently promoted)
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OP
ZmannR2

ZmannR2

Reaction score
Wow so it looks like Bobby is pretty far off on his recommendation of 7.8 ft

day_trippr

This space for rent
Reaction score
Hmm...I was afraid of this, given Solty's calculator recommendation...

OP
ZmannR2

ZmannR2

Reaction score
it seems so far that leaving the roughness set at the default setting for vinyl works.
These hoses have a "slick liner" so I'm sure it's a bit smoother.....wonder if we can find out the exact number

fetidpants

Reaction score
These hoses have a "slick liner" so I'm sure it's a bit smoother.....wonder if we can find out the exact number
Which roughness do you recommend using in the calculator for EVAbarrier 4mm instead of vinyl tubing (e=0.000016 [ft])?
Thanks!

LarMoeCur

Reaction score
I've used the 4mm in the past. Really good tubing but my one issue with the 4mm is when you stretch it over the 1/4 barbs it likes to split. I split it a half dozen times before I got it on all my fittings. Small pain to pull the tubing off and cut the spit off then start over. However, I have sense switch to the 5mm which is closer to 3/16 in size. You still have to stretch it over the barbs but no splitting. You do lose some wall thickness. I'd rather lose wall thickness then a keg of beer from a line split.

5/32=3.968mm
3/16=4.762mm
1/4=6.35mm

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I've used the 4mm in the past. Really good tubing but my one issue with the 4mm is when you stretch it over the 1/4 barbs it likes to split. I split it a half dozen times before I got it on all my fittings. Small pain to pull the tubing off and cut the spit off then start over. However, I have sense switch to the 5mm which is closer to 3/16 in size. You still have to stretch it over the barbs but no splitting. You do lose some wall thickness. I'd rather lose wall thickness then a keg of beer from a line split.

5/32=3.968mm
3/16=4.762mm
1/4=6.35mm
I've never split 4mm when using heat. I'd rather run 5 feet of 4mm than 12 feet of 5mm.

LarMoeCur

Reaction score
I've never split 4mm when using heat. I'd rather run 5 feet of 4mm than 12 feet of 5mm.
I soaked the tip in near boiling water (ouch) and I still managed to split them. But then again, I've never had a delicate touch when in come to these things. How my Kezzer is set up, I've always ran 10ft of tubing. I haven't seen any difference in 10ft of 4mm over 5mm. Now you got me wondering!?! Let me pour a pint and reflect.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I soaked the tip in near boiling water (ouch) and I still managed to split them. But then again, I've never had a delicate touch when in come to these things. How my Kezzer is set up, I've always ran 10ft of tubing. I haven't seen any difference in 10ft of 4mm over 5mm. Now you got me wondering!?! Let me pour a pint and reflect.
That's probably too hot. It softens at about 140F. I'm not sure if the plastic gets damaged at hotter temps.

Reaction score
9.8 feet (1/4 roll) is too long for my kegerator with tower. 5.5 is too short. Soon, I'll find the right length. I haven't split any ends yet - might have lost some hair though. I have to wonder how one length can work for both a lightly carbed stout and also a lager with more volumes of CO2.

day_trippr

This space for rent
Reaction score
fwiw, I run four kegs @11 psi on 6.5 foot 4mm ID EVAbarrier lines (pales/ipas/neipas), one keg @15 psi on 9.5 feet (usually a wheat beer), and the last keg @35 psi on 6.5 feet (my stout on beer gas). Reliably solid pours on all, year 'round. The "half-foot's" are the short sections to splice in my flow meters atop the kegs. All lines connected with PTC fittings from either John Guest, DMfit or Duotight...

Cheers!

marc1

Reaction score
9.8 feet (1/4 roll) is too long for my kegerator with tower. 5.5 is too short. Soon, I'll find the right length. I haven't split any ends yet - might have lost some hair though. I have to wonder how one length can work for both a lightly carbed stout and also a lager with more volumes of CO2.
You can use a short length of 5mm to make it easier to attach and then join that to the 4mm tubing. They have the same OD so they slide into the same fittings