40oz for dry hopping a keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

letsbrew

Reaction score
Well i came up with this crazy idea, i got a conical fermenter where i ferment 30-34gal of beer, i have been doing dry hopping by adding the hops on the top but my beer comes hazy due to poliphenols compounds. Because of that i came up with the idea of making the dry hopping in a keg with the hop amount for 30-34 gal in this case 40oz of pellets hops in a muslin bag in 5 gal and then after a week or two do the cold crash to make it more hazy and filtering trough a 0.5 micron to remove the hop haze and then adding this to the final beer. (i used to filter the entry dry hopped beer but my filter got clogged by dextrines and i had to backflush with sanitizer and purge with CO2 so a pain in the ass)

My doubth is that 40oz of hops in 5gal dont get the oils into solution very well.

Any advice?

Suggestion? Come up with Plan B, because Plan A won't work well at all. I can only imagine what 2.5 pounds of hops in a single 5 gallon keg would look like, and I'm thinking at least a basketball size mass that would be severely under-utilized. Not to mention there wouldn't be room for 5 gallons of anything in there...

Cheers!

or trying to make a hop cannon or a torpedo like sierra nevada hehehehe but small one

Back